cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i as Webcam – USB Powered?

coreymcollins
Apprentice

I've been using a DSLR as a webcam for a while now because I'm on calls frequently and want to have a higher quality video. However, I have to run it with a dummy battery plugged into an AC adapter in addition to having it plugged into my computer via USB-C.

I've been looking at the T3i as a lower-cost option for a webcam to replace the camera I'm currently using (which I'd like to start using for photography again rather than as a webcam). One thing I can't figure out is whether or not the T3i can be powered by USB/USB-C without a battery or dummy battery.

I've seen some articles like this one from B&H (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/how-to-use-your-canon-camera-as-a-webc...) that reference Canon cameras that use USB power. I haven't been able to find a video or walkthrough that specifically says whether or not you can use the T3i without a battery and just rely on USB power from your computer.

Can I use the T3i with just the USB connection? I'd love to reduce the amount of cords running around, so if I can't use the T3i without a dummy battery and AC adapter plugged in is there a model that DOES support USB power?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your camera cannot be powered through its’ USB port.  You would need to purchase an AC adapter and a DC adapter battery module to power the camera, or use the battery.

Your camera was released prior to using DSLRs as webcams became popular.  I am uncertain just how compatible your camera is with the Canon EOS Webcam Utility.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/ 

Not all features and resolutions are available on older models.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

coreymcollins
Apprentice

Thanks for the response! Are you aware of any (if any) models of DSLRs that can be powered solely by USB/USB-C? I've had a hard time tracking down that info.

Announcements