Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support/Repair for Error 80 on 70D


I purchased my 70D in France in 2014. I do not have the proof of purchase and the shop is unable to provide it to me.

I now reside in California and I have recently experienced Err 80. My S/N is in the range of the defect and Canon offered to cover the repair costs if I ship my camera to them, provided I give them proof of purchased.

How can I have my camera fixed? I don't have a proof of purchase and it comes from another country.
However that does not change the fact that this is a legit camera that I bought, and that Canon has a defect on these and needs to fix it.




I think the situation you may experiencing is that warranty work is generally covered by the Canon subsidiary that imported the product.

This forum is not a Canon support site; it is a user supported forum where we try and assist each other.

Your best bet is to call 1-800-OK-CANON and explain the purchase situation.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks for the time you took to answer, John. Sorry for asking a support related question to these forums.

No reason to be sorry. It’s not obvious. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic


I doubt Canon USA will service your camera for free. And, in their defence they are not obligated too. Bought in 2014 and in another country, Canon USA has no part in it.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

While I agree Canon USA wouldn't be happy to serve a EU customer, I don't see how this is my problem. If they have separate budgets, they can bill Canon EU so that there is no expense for Canon USA. Either way, if Canon has recognized a defect and my camera is eligible for a free repair, it shouldn't matter where the camera came from.

I have registered my S/N in Canon USA website and they sent me a RMA form with $0 repair fee. I'm only concerned about the proof of purchase, which is useless in my opinion: with the S/N, they can get all the info they need.


Years ago the PCB repair (70D) cost was about $415 ~ $500.  Its probably more now.  

Contact Canon as mentioned, and see what they say.  If its no, you can try midwest camera repair. 

Or start over.  The canon refurbished store is a great place to look.  if you have to spend $500 ~ 600 for the repair, you may want to put another $100 ~ 500 and get yourself something newer.  

Today,  investing in DSLR is a dead end.  If you can go mirrorless its worth it, but we all have different budgets and different needs.


Bay Area - CA

~R5 C ( ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Fully agree, it'd be stupid to pay $500 on an old DSLR.


Hey! I'm not a technician; however, the proof of purchase usually determines the warranty status. It's obviously not within the warranty period. If your camera is impacted by the service notice, our Factory Service Technicians will be able to tell by the serial number. If our team here in the US has the parts for your camera, they'll perform any necessary repairs.

If your camera isn't part of the service advisory, OR if the issue is determined to be outside of the service advisory, our team will let you know and will give you an estimate. 

Go ahead and send it. You have nothing to lose. 😊

Get started at

If the site wants you to pay up-front, you can download the manual PDF form HERE instead of setting it up online. 

The site said it's going to be $0, but they request a proof of purchase. I'm not sure I should ship the camera without.

I'll call them.

click here to view the gallery