cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for Crop Mode Icon on Canon R Series

RoxSpiegel
Contributor

I’ve been a long time loyal Canon user. I have to say that the fact that the crop mode (1.6) on the R series does not have a screen display icon or any other way of alerting the photographer that this feature has been selected is maddening and bewildering. Camera users are NOT going to remember this feature has been activated if they put their camera away quickly for whatever reason and take it out the next, a week or several weeks later. The result (especially on a lower MP camera like the R6) is that you end up with an entire shoot (sometimes in locales you have paid thousands of dollars to travel to) of 7.7 vs. 20 MP captures. I sincerely hope that in the future, Canon fixes what I see as a major design flaw. I will NEVER use this feature on this camera (R6) ever again until it is remedied. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No 23 is listed as "Still Photo Cropping/Aspect Ratio"

You might want to make sure you are in one of the creative modes and press the info button a few times.

Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Doesn't it only happen when you attach a -S lens?

ETA:

oops, read the manual, I guess you can set it. To make sure the right people see it, send feedback. On the Canon USA home page, look for the itty bitty + and use that to send feedback:

Feedback.jpg

Thanks for your reply and suggestion! I was wondering what would be the best channel to reach Canon. 

Exactly, you can set it. When would you ever want to do this? Well, if you feel most comfortable composing in camera and don’t have a long enough lens to reach, compose or isolate your subject. You could in theory then back out of the crop setting and collect full sensor and just try to remember your composition or take a photo in each setting (crop and full) and crop back in during post but that’s super fiddly and unrealistic.

I will send as you suggest! 

While it is intended as a focusing aid, you can just magnify the viewfinder.

I do not know anyone who uses the crop factor as a focusing aid. Anyone I know who uses the crop factor is using it to compose in camera and extend the reach of their lens if they do not have a longer lens. The magnify feature is what I have always used and known others to use as a focusing aid (usually after the fact to ensure they have captured focus throughout their intended focus area). 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Which specific camera model do you have in mind?  

The full frame cameras display a [1.6] icon along the right edge in the EVF and the rear display.  The crop sensor bodies would not have this feature, of course.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have an R6 full frame and it definitely does not do this. 

No 23 is listed as "Still Photo Cropping/Aspect Ratio"

You might want to make sure you are in one of the creative modes and press the info button a few times.

Untitled.jpg

This is the most helpful answer so far and further clarifies Wadizzle’s answer. Thank you! I am almost never in the Q screen because I prefer my viewfinder/TS to be uncluttered. In other words, you must be in the Q screen to see the 1.6 crop icon. On the native screen with minimal info, it does not show. My preference would be for it to show on the native screen because it’s so important (the lens stabilizer info is there and arguably that is no longer that critical). In any case, this helps, thanks! 

@RoxSpiegel wrote:

This is the most helpful answer so far and further clarifies Wadizzle’s answer. Thank you! I am almost never in the Q screen because I prefer my viewfinder/TS to be uncluttered. In other words, you must be in the Q screen to see the 1.6 crop icon. On the native screen with minimal info, it does not show. My preference would be for it to show on the native screen because it’s so important (the lens stabilizer info is there and arguably that is no longer that critical). In any case, this helps, thanks! 

That is not the Quick Menu screen that KVBarkley is showing you.  You would press the [INFO] button to switch between the standard and custom screens.

He posted a screen shot from the manual of just one of several “shooting info” screens, which are entirely customizable.  You can configure which custom screens to display, as well as what information is displayed on each custom screen.

7E90C20E-2CD9-416C-A7C3-D5BC2550394B.jpeg09F6EAFB-8E32-4F6A-88B5-BEBE77AC70AF.jpeg

Use Red Camera Menu, Screen #7.  You will need to be in P, Tv, Av, or M mode to see this menu option.  If you have not already done so, download the full user guide for the camera from this link.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r6 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements