cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop screen from going super bright when AF'ing?

luvver
Apprentice

Alrtight, I use a Canon 6D which I love for its low light performance. I'm getting more into video and have learned that while it doesn't have video autofocus, I can press the AF button while recording to manually make it focus. Only problem, aside from it taking years to focus, is that the screen gets really bright while AF'ing, and it comes out in the video. Is there any setting I'm missing to stop this madness? I just went though the entire menu to double check. Help appreciated!

Bad video autofocus, no auto autofocus during video, no 4k, no wifi allowed during video. Canon really wanted me to get another camera for video, huh.

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The 6D is a still photography camera. Video capability is really an afterthought, and compromises had to be made in order for it to function on earlier DSLRs like your 6D. 

Newer cameras models do have some improvements in their video AF capabilities,  but many serious DSLR videographers still prefer to use manual focus. Others prefer to use dedicated video cameras. 

Mike Sowsun

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@luvver wrote:

Alrtight, I use a Canon 6D which I love for its low light performance. I'm getting more into video and have learned that while it doesn't have video autofocus, I can press the AF button while recording to manually make it focus. Only problem, aside from it taking years to focus, is that the screen gets really bright while AF'ing, and it comes out in the video. Is there any setting I'm missing to stop this madness? I just went though the entire menu to double check. Help appreciated!

Bad video autofocus, no auto autofocus during video, no 4k, no wifi allowed during video. Canon really wanted me to get another camera for video, huh.

I do not understand your final remarks.  The camera was released in 2014, before any DSLRs had 4K video.  It was one of the first cameras to [have] built-in Wi-Fi.  It does not have Movie Servo AF because it does not have a Dual Pixel AF sensor.    

The camera seems to lack the ability to AF and record video at the same time.  My 6D does the same thing in both Movie mode, as well as in Live View.  It will [do] this even with exposure set to manual and the aperture set to wide open.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thanks, i was thinking more along the lines of the 70d which I thought came out around the same time

edit: ya was relkeased in 2013
Announcements