cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Started using a new EF lens on my T5 but when I transfer images, my PC doesn't recognize them??

Edjesl
Contributor

I am using a T5 with EFS lenses and I just purchased a new 85mm 1.8 EF lens.  It takes great photos but when I transfer them to my PC, the PC doenst recognize them and shows them as "grayed-out".  I can view the images on the camera after they are taken but the PC is not recognizing them for some reason.  Any ideas?

15 REPLIES 15

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It takes great photos but when I transfer them to my PC, ..."

This tells me at some point before the addition of the ef 85mm f1.8, you were viewing your photos on your computer?  If this is so and you changed nothing, it is not the file format.  The thought of it being an accidental change of format (to RAW) is a long shot at any rate as most available software for a T5 will show jpg or RAW files.  If you are using the Canon provided software it (RAW format) isn't even a consideration.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It takes great photos but when I transfer them to my PC, ..."

This tells me at some point before the addition of the ef 85mm f1.8, you were viewing your photos on your computer?  If this is so and you changed nothing, it is not the file format.  The thought of it being an accidental change of format (to RAW) is a long shot at any rate as most available software for a T5 will show jpg or RAW files.  If you are using the Canon provided software it (RAW format) isn't even a consideration.

Maybe not; but if you aren't, it probably is. Windows 7 is less reliable than Windows 8 or 10 at recognizing the embedded JPEG in a RAW file. If the OS doesn't have the Canon RAW Codec installed (and maybe even if it does), you may have to manually specify the program (e.g., LR or DPP Viewer) to be used to read .CR2 files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert, Merry Christmas, from Boston,

Until this is confirmed or not, "...you were viewing your photos on your computer?", it is a moot point.  It sounds like all was well until the 85mil came along.

EB

I am using the Canon software that we have always used.  I have also tried letting Windows do it as well as removing the SD card from the camera and plugging it directly into the PC.  All with the same result.  All of the photos appear as transferred JPEG but they are "grayed out and the photo cannot be seen.

@Edjesl wrote:

I am using the Canon software that we have always used.  I have also tried letting Windows do it as well as removing the SD card from the camera and plugging it directly into the PC.  All with the same result.  All of the photos appear as transferred JPEG but they are "grayed out and the photo cannot be seen.

Set Windows Explorer to show you the full file name, including the file type suffix (e.g., "AuntSusie.JPG" or "CousinJack.CR2"). Then tell us the names of a few files that do and don't work.

And what is the name and version number of the Canon software that you've always used?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I am using the Canon software that we have always used."

Two things to try.  One do a disk cleanup to delete the thumbnail cache.   Two, you need to uninstall all the Canon software and reinstall it.

Have you tried any other third party software to view your files?  If so the the WIC (Windows Imaging Component) codecs could be corrupt.  Especially if you have installed other (non-photo) software, I.E. games, etc.

EB
Announcements