cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of my menu selections have disappeared from my 5D Mk IV

JulCus
Contributor

I was going to update the firmware on my Canon 5D MK IV because the last time I used it, it didn't work correctly.  When I pulled up my menu, some of the menu selections are missing--The wrench (yellow) only has selections 1-5.  6 is missing, and 6 is where the firmware information is located.  Also, the last menu item--the camera (I don't know the color) doesn't even show up at all.  

Do I need to send my camera in to be fixed or is this something I can do?  

I appreciate any assistance--

Julie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

If you having menu challenges, I would first try a factory reset through the menu system. If that does not work, remove the battery, cards and lens (put the body cap back on the camera) and leave it for a few hours, then put them all back and try again.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, Julie!

Have you made sure you are in one of the "creative" modes, like M, AV, TV? Some menu items are only available in those modes.

Newton

Thank you for writing, Newton.  Yes--I only shoot in AV and M.   I also remembered tonight that even while in AV and M, I cannot choose my focus points--I can only shoot in Autofocus.  I don't know how to do this--or even if I can--but I wondered if I could reinstall the software to restore the menu tabs that are missing and now the focus points too.  

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

If you having menu challenges, I would first try a factory reset through the menu system. If that does not work, remove the battery, cards and lens (put the body cap back on the camera) and leave it for a few hours, then put them all back and try again.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you, Trevor.  I will attempt a factory reset tomorrow.  Some of the issues with missing menu tabs and focus points have somehow been restored.  When I put a fresh battery in earlier today, these were missing, but several hours later, I turned the camera back on, and somehow they were restored.  It could be that there is a really, really long delay...  This is a back-up camera and I haven't used it much in the last couple of years--not sure if that contributes to these issues.  But--I will try your suggestion tomorrow--factory reset.  If that doesn't work, I will send it into Canon.  I've had it since 2017--not sure what it would cost if I end up having to send it in, and not sure it's worth putting much money into it.  Thank you very much for your suggestion.  Julie

I am assuming you have a pretty standard lens attached when you bring up the menu. There are definitely potential issues with storing a camera for a long period of time, so the idea of leaving it with fresh batteries on board for a day or so is a good one.  It's a solid camera, and I would be surprised if you can inadvertently degrade the EPROM that stores the menu system.   If you can get it to the point of updating firmware, I would definitely go in that direction, that should cause the firmware to overwrite the EPROM with fresh data.

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you, again, Trevor.  It wasn't stored with a lens, but I had attached my EF100L macro lens to the camera when I put the new battery in.  It seems less scary to do a firmware update than a factory reset--though the only custom button I set up is back-button focus, and that's not a prob. to redo.  I looked at it this morning, and all of my menu tabs are still there, as well as focus points/selections.  It's just a bit slow to respond to my demands.  Thank you--I appreciate your help.  Julie

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A Main and Custom settings reset is recommended as a first step in these cases.  Attempting to upgrade firmware on a malfunctioning device is not something I'd recommend.  

With the camera powered off, remove the lens, memory card(s) and battery.  Replace the body cap.  Reinsert a freshly charged (Canon brand battery) of known good quality and recheck camera functions. 

If your camera is missing menus in the creative modes Newton mentioned, try pressing the Q or info buttons.  

If that doesn't work, it's best to have the camera inspected by Canon.   

***Tronhard and I think alike 🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you, Rick, for your suggestion.  I will attempt a factory reset tomorrow.  Interestingly, leaving my camera off for several hours after putting in a fresh battery  (though they weren't there when I put the fresh battery in)  the missing menu selections reappeared, and I've been able to change my focus point.  Something is still not right though as there is a very long delay (enough so that I thought some buttons weren't working--like playback--and then after a minute or so, they do.  I only use this camera as a back-up camera, so I haven't used it much at all in the last 2 years, and I wonder if that has something to do with the problems I'm experiencing.  

Announcements