cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Switch over to Mirrorless

kapla
Apprentice

I would say that I am an intermediate photographer (I don't do anything too advanced and just do it as a hobby). I currently have an EOS 80D with an 10-18mm lens aswell as a 18-135mm lens that could be sold. I have been doing some research on cannon's Rp body and I could pick up one good lens like an RF 24-70mm f/2.8L or something like that. Do you think it is worth it to sell 80d and buy a cannon Rp (or a different body ) with a good lens or keep my 80D and buy a good lens. Is it worth it to switch?

10 REPLIES 10

Mitch_P
Enthusiast

I can only speak for myself, but right after I switched I regretted it... But now LOVE it after learning new technique. Depending on what kind of photography you do, it can be a big learning curve as far as technique. I do mostly fast action wildlife and had to wrap my head around how the AF responds. Now that I'm used to it I could never go back.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Valid question. FWIW, I looked into mirrorless and by budget won't handle it.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

The EOS 80D in live view mode is similar to mirrorless, except that the live view can be seen in the viewfinder on mirrorless. Using live view, the EOS 80D does the dual pixel auto focus that the mirrorless cameras use. The lenses that I used with my EOS 80D all work better with an adapter on mirrorless than they did on the EOS 80D. I think you have good lenses. If you got a mirrorless camera with a crop sensor, you could continue to use those lenses with an adaptor but with possibly better autofocus.

As @Mitch_P said, learning to use mirrorless after the 80D took some time for me too.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

No doubt. DSLRs are great and we've all used them for decades.  They take beautiful photos and modern bodies like an 80D perform very well.

My transition to mirrorless was brief.  I felt comfortable with my camera (still photography) in about 3 days.  The cinema side took longer.  At the end of the first week I purchased my first RF lens.  I did shoot with adapted zooms for about 6 months.  The results were fantastic.  Within the first year I'd fully transitioned to RF.  I think I only purchased 2 new lenses this year.  

If you're considering switching to mirrorless (RP), I would purchase an R8 before I bought an RP.  Performance wise, its superior.  Its only real drawback (like the RP) is its battery life.  Thats the sacrifice with a compact body.  There is a $400 price difference, but you get quite a bit more for that money.   Both are 24MP, the RP is 26MP.

In the end, your lenses are the real investment since bodies come and go.  Moving to full frame, you are not going to want to keep your APS-C lenses.  The reduction in resolution will be very noticeable (Approx 9.3MP).  10-18 & 18-135, I owned both and each performs well, but not on a full frame sensor.

The 80D is a very capable camera.  What is it you are hoping to achieve with an upgrade? Granted, the R8 has higher FPS, better video capability, more focus points, better ISO, etc., but what doesn't the 80D do for you?  Might a lens upgrade be a better choice?  If you say you want IS, I understand.  This is why I owned a Sigma 24-70 for 5 yrs. and might be a consideration going to mirrorless since you get IS with a RF 24-70.   

Based on your current gear, It doesn't sound like you are a wildlife photographer.  Is your interest in landscapes, architecture and general purpose photography?   

Selling gear.  If you are willing to get a fair, but lower price for your gear KEH is a good way to liquidate.  If you want maximum dollar, then private sale is the way to go. I've sold the majority of my DSLRs and EF glass this way, but still have 3 lens posted for sale. You have to be patient, or just be willing to walk away from it. Is your future purchase contingent on the sale of your old gear and do you have a budget?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I disagree with part of your comment. The EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is a really good lens. With an EOS R10 and a $99 Canon adapter, it would have the same resolution as on an EOS 80D. You are correct that a crop lens will have less pixels on a full frame camera because it would use only the center of the sensor.

The EOS R10 would have a little more dynamic range than the EOS 80D and would weigh much less. The two cameras seem similar to me, but I have the EOS 80D and not the EOS R10, so I am going by specifications only and not experience.

I do not have any RF lenses. On my EOS R5, the  EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM has only a few less pixels than on my EOS 80D and works very well especially for depth compositing.

A comparison is at https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Specifications.aspx?Camera=1044&CameraComp=1620  .

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
My first response is what is it about your current set up that makes you want to make a change? 
The 80D and EF-S 18-135 are good units.  While I have some of the most expensive R-series Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILCs), I still retain an 80D and the 18-135 myself.
The second question is if you did switch, what would be your budget - a definitive figure at this point is far more helpful.
What kinds of subjects do you shoot?
What output do you produce - i.e. images for social media, digital display, small-medium prints etc.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

rs-eos
Elite

Before investing too much time with replies on this thread, do note an identical (to include the typos) post by another user.  See: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Discussion/Should-I-Switch-over-to-Mirrorless/td-p/453652

Seems suspicious to me.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ricky,

Good catch.  Yep.  Looks like SPAM.  

shadowsports_0-1703956745680.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Good advice from everyone.  So, I’ll try not to echo their advice.

The EOS R & RP were Canon’s first real attempt at MILC full frame bodies.  They were received with mixed reviews.  Most still photographers did not like them, while most videographers seemed to like them.  Both suffered from short battery life compared to a DSLR, which is probably why videographers liked them.  They can both be used with AC/DC adapters and not rely on a battery.  The EOS R and RP cameras have fairly low frame rates, which make them less attractive for action photography.  Take a pass on either model.

I would recommend a switch to the R7.  It has an APS-C and uses the larger LP-E6 series of batteries compared to the R8 and R10 models, which use a smaller battery similar to the ones used in Rebel DSLRs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements