cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Infrared flash notification

Outcast007
Apprentice

Rebel T6i

During Night Photography, I have noticed that when I use my RC-6 Remote, the front little flash notificaiton sends out a brief flash when I hit the trigger. I realize that this is for folks that are in front of the camera to notify them that the shutter is open. However, I can hear it, so I dont want it to flash. It can interupt a great photo, not to mention very upsetting to others around me when it goes off. Electrical tape does dim the light output, but must be turned off. Is there a setting? Anyway to shut this annoyance off?

7 REPLIES 7

@Outcast007 wrote:

Rebel T6i

During Night Photography, I have noticed that when I use my RC-6 Remote, the front little flash notificaiton sends out a brief flash when I hit the trigger. I realize that this is for folks that are in front of the camera to notify them that the shutter is open. However, I can hear it, so I dont want it to flash. It can interupt a great photo, not to mention very upsetting to others around me when it goes off. Electrical tape does dim the light output, but must be turned off. Is there a setting? Anyway to shut this annoyance off?

Your explanation for the "brief flash" you're seeing makes no sense to me. Are you sure that it isn't the autofocus assist beam? I believe that probably can be turned off, but you may then want to switch to manual focus. Otherwise the camera may not be able to achieve focus for lack of light.

That said, I'm not at all sure that I understand exactly what you say you're seeing. Is the "brief flash" red or white? does it come from the camera or from an attached speedlite?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi There, Thanks for the reply. No Speedlight installed. Flash is disabled on the onboard camera. Autofocus is off always for night photography on the lens. When you use a wireless remote; in this case a RC-6, when you hit the shutter release button, the front of the camera on the righ side in the curvature, there is a little White light that omits when you hit it. If you have not used wireless remote, youd never know it ever existed. 

@Outcast007 wrote:

Hi There, Thanks for the reply. No Speedlight installed. Flash is disabled on the onboard camera. Autofocus is off always for night photography on the lens. When you use a wireless remote; in this case a RC-6, when you hit the shutter release button, the front of the camera on the righ side in the curvature, there is a little White light that omits when you hit it. If you have not used wireless remote, youd never know it ever existed. 

That's the infrared sensor that reads the signal from the RC-6. (It's on the handle so that it will be covered up by your fingers, to keep it from responding to spurious signals, when the camera is hand-held.) I've used wireless remotes on several of my cameras, but never saw that sensor emit a confirmation light. Maybe that's a new "feature". In any case, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a way to turn it off. Be sure to carefully read the section of the manual that deals with obscure user-controllable settings.

Bob

It is not the IR sensor. The camera uses the red-eye reduction light to signal that the camera has received the IR command and is about to take a picture. I know of no way to turn it off. It discusses this feature on page 114 of the manual. They call it the "self-timer lamp", and indicate that on the feature diagram of the camera at the front of the manual.

@kvbarkley wrote:

It is not the IR sensor. The camera uses the red-eye reduction light to signal that the camera has received the IR command and is about to take a picture. I know of no way to turn it off. It discusses this feature on page 114 of the manual. They call it the "self-timer lamp", and indicate that on the feature diagram of the camera at the front of the manual.

From the OP's description ("in the curvature"), I thought he was talking about the "remote control sensor", not the "self-timer lamp". I guess the latter makes more sense.

Bob

The innie curvature, not the outie curvature. 8^)

No it is a little tally light to help you prepare for the shot.

I think you need to put tape over it.

Announcements