cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XT not giving sharp images

cgross
Contributor

Hi

My Rebel XTis not giving me sharpen images lately. It's served me well for years. Do I throw it, or is there a way to refurbish, refresh it?

is it worth putting any money into it, or is it time to upgrade?

Is the Rebel still top of the line for personal photography? or is the EOS M50 a better option today?

I will appreciate any help I can get,

C Gross

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Can you get a sharp image if you focus manually?

That is a very good question and I will try it out!

cgross
Contributor

If my lens always had a filter on it, how likely is it that it's the lens?

Well, first of all try taking an image without the filter - that could possibly be a factor.
Lenses wear out like anything else - and if your lens is the original one that came with the camera it could simply have worn out, or been subject to a knock.  I didn't see a response from you to let us know what lens you do have, but if it's one of the earlier 18-55 kit lenses, and you attempted to manually focus it with the AF-MF set to AF, that will interfere with the focusing mechanism and definitely give you poor image quality.
The things I am getting you to test and establish or eliminate (i.e. lens issues) are the easy and cheap ones to resolve.   If the body has an issue, then because of its age you are looking at a replacement - they don't fix cameras of that vintage.
So, if you want to save money or keep the camera, it's worthwhile going through these exercises to cut down the possibilities.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements