cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really unhappy with EOS R6. Curious to know if others have similar Wi-Fi, IBIS, color issues.

johninbigd
Enthusiast

I previously had a 60D, a 6D, then an R. I recently upgraded to the R6 and have mostly been unhappy with the expenditure. I do love the improved eye AF. That makes shooting a breeze! I also love the AF joystick and and the return of the old style control wheel. So nice! But.....the problems.

In order of mild to worst:

1. Horrible wifi connectivity problems

2. IBIS doesn't seem to work with any of my lenses (Tamron and Sigma, through an adapter)

3. Colors are horrible and photos lack contrast, creating a flat smeared sort of look that is really unpleasant

I process my photos in Lightroom Classic and have the most recent version available. I had zero problems with the 60D, 6D and R. Photos from any of those bodies look fantastic, especially the R. Colors are vibrant, skin tones are gorgeous, and there is plenty of contrast. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I absolutely hate the results. So much so that I'm already considering selling it. It's too late to return it, unfortunately. 

Have any of you run into these issues, particularly with the color and contrast?

92 REPLIES 92

@JasminJasa wrote:

R6 colors and contrast are simply cr4p. Every other camera I have has got better colors. My ancient d50 nikon wipes the floor with this overpriced new camera. I have found no effective way to correct this (yes, yes, I got colorfidelity, color profiles, still cr4p) . Lr processing of these image is subpar still two years after its release, hell even OOC JPGs are *nowhere* near my 5dmk4. OOC looks more like my iPhone 13 pics than an dSLR. R6 video is a different story, amazing files.

In addition to posting a screenshot of images you think are not good (as Peter recommended) can you upload some sample RAW files and output files to Dropbox or OneDrive?

I have a 1D X Mark III, which has the same sensor as the R6. I don't experience any of the issues you are reporting, so we should be able to work together to resolve your problem.

John Moyer describes a viable workflow using the free Canon DPP to process the RAW data and then transfer of other freeware (Gimp). Since DPP uses all the Canon algorithms it will, without doubt, produce the most accurate representation of a processed RAW image from a Canon camera. However, it is not a "night and day" difference from other software like Lightroom or DxO PL. So, if you are not getting decent images from Lightroom there is something basically wrong that we should be able to resolve.

What version of Lightroom are you using?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Peter
Authority
Authority

I have some raw samples from R6, 6D and a Spydercheckr. CC0 license for the raw files. Feel free to use them as you like.

0582 is 6D ISO 100
0583 is 6D ISO 3200
8924 is R6 ISO 100 c-raw
8930 is R6 ISO 3200
8932 is R6 ISO 100

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_aQmGvoGVrfycp0CFwhDhe6Q5TxyqDcC/view?usp=share_link

R6 DPP4R6 DPP46D DPP46D DPP4

I see a noticeable difference: The 6D  colors are so bright and vivid. The R6 colors, although similar, look kinda muted and lifeless...

Dylan915
Apprentice

I am REALLY UNHAPPY with the color of the R6 Mark ii. No matter how I set the camera color up, all the images are yellowish and pale. It is absolutely so frustrating because I have been a professional photographer for 35 years and I have NEVER seen such inaccurate colors. When i shoot strobes, and set the white balance to strobe , RGB, images are yellow, faded, and somewhat green. No matter how I set this color, the images look horrible. VERY UPSET, I can't return this camera now, so will have to take a steep loss on resale. _MG_2135.JPG

No color chart?

What if you use DPP4?

Dylan915
Apprentice

No color chart. The background is gray, you can see the yellowish tones especially in the skin tones. THere are no colors, I have to go into light room, change the temperature to 4000 the saturate to 23% to get anything. Im a professional portrait photographer.I can't show my clients these proofs.

@Dylan915 wrote:

No color chart. The background is gray, you can see the yellowish tones especially in the skin tones. THere are no colors, I have to go into light room, change the temperature to 4000 the saturate to 23% to get anything. Im a professional portrait photographer.I can't show my clients these proofs.

So your problem is Lightroom and not the camera? Or that JPEG you posted is SOOC? I got better white balance just by opening darktable and white balancing that JPEG.

Similarly, I opened the JPEG in DPP and one click of the eye dropper resolve the color issue. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Dylan915
Apprentice

Thanks for responding.

canonfan2
Contributor

I'm unhappy with the R6 colours as well.

I still own the EOS RP and the EOS 7D Mark II and recently owned the EOS R.

The plan was to replace the EOS R with the EOS R6 and keep the EOS RP as a smaller backup cameras and the EOS 7D Mark II for wildlife (because of the crop).

In the past I owned a bunch of Canon DSLRs like EOS 6D Mark II or the EOS 5D Mark II ... EOS 50D ... EOS 250D... EOS M5 and EOS M50 ...

I never came across such bad colour science like on the EOS R6 in my humble opinion!

Now here we have it:

R6 SOOC FinedetailR6 SOOC Finedetail 

The first image is a SOOC with Picture Style Finedetail. This image absloutely does not represent the real scene.

(Finedetail picture stale works very good on my EOS RP beside Landscape.)

R6 edited in LightroomR6 edited in Lightroom

Then I tried to edit the image how I would edit the files from my EOS R or EOS RP. It turned out a disaster... I couldn't make anything out of the picture.

Another scene:

R6 Lightroom LandscapeR6 Lightroom Landscape

I edited it in Lightroom like I would always do with my Canon cameras with the Canon Landscape Picture Style

I found an old 6D Mark II on the same location:

6D Mark II Lightroom Landscape6D Mark II Lightroom Landscape

I edited the 6D Mark II file the same way like the R6 file.
The 6D Mark II delivered back than results I would expect from a Canon camera just like any other Canon camera I had prior to it and after it including the EOS R and EOS RP.

So either my Lightroom skills are not sufficient for this camera of Canon changed the color science significantly!

I tried the lates version of DPP. The files turn out exactly like the files in Lightroom in terms of the chosen picture style.

One of the strong aspects of Canon, and that's why I have Canon cameras, are (or were?) the Picture Styles which in my humble opinion can not be reproduces on Sony files for example.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements