cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really unhappy with EOS R6. Curious to know if others have similar Wi-Fi, IBIS, color issues.

johninbigd
Enthusiast

I previously had a 60D, a 6D, then an R. I recently upgraded to the R6 and have mostly been unhappy with the expenditure. I do love the improved eye AF. That makes shooting a breeze! I also love the AF joystick and and the return of the old style control wheel. So nice! But.....the problems.

In order of mild to worst:

1. Horrible wifi connectivity problems

2. IBIS doesn't seem to work with any of my lenses (Tamron and Sigma, through an adapter)

3. Colors are horrible and photos lack contrast, creating a flat smeared sort of look that is really unpleasant

I process my photos in Lightroom Classic and have the most recent version available. I had zero problems with the 60D, 6D and R. Photos from any of those bodies look fantastic, especially the R. Colors are vibrant, skin tones are gorgeous, and there is plenty of contrast. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I absolutely hate the results. So much so that I'm already considering selling it. It's too late to return it, unfortunately. 

Have any of you run into these issues, particularly with the color and contrast?

92 REPLIES 92

Take a raw file from R6 and RP, the same scene and with the same lens, post the link to the files here.

canonfan2
Contributor

Yes I could have done this. But I haven't! 

This would have been a fair comparison. I have to admit. But I think the examples above are enough to show the strange colours. 

I'm not that type of photographer who carries around dozens of cameras 😉 

I shot 2 days with the R6 I various conditions I shot 1000 times with my other Canon cameras and I couldn't get the results I was used to have.

What if you in Lightroom try my raw files from R6 and 6D?

This is on my todo list 🙂

Unfortunately I got rid of the R6 because of the return policy. I didn't want to have another 2000€ brick in the shelf ^^
I couldn't handle the camera and the colours in post processing.

And it felt cheap plasticky to me, not as good and solid like even the EOS RP, let alone the EOS R which is built like a tank. The joystick on the R6 was way out of reach and not at a convenient place like on the 7D Mark II. The design is beefy like old DSLR and not lean like the EOS RP and EOS R design. But this is another story.

With my photos I had the feeling that the contrast was on some photos way too high.

The warmth and the saturation in the colours isn't there. 

Trees didn't look natural to me. 

And the moire was horrible. 

Left R6+EF50/1.4
Right 6D+EF50/1.8

Exposure: ISO 200, 1/250 sec and f/4. Edited in darktable and I used a Spydercheckr.

Skärmbild från 2023-03-20 09-52-04.png

About moiré I actually get more with R6 than 6D when I take pictures of mallards, but I feel like my R6 pictures are sharper. I should go out and take some more pictures of mallards with my 6D.

R6 with demosaicing method RCDR6 with demosaicing method RCDR6 with demosaicing method LMMSER6 with demosaicing method LMMSE

canonfan2
Contributor

OK I just got a direct comparison R vs R6

Same settings applied in Lightroom. Colour profile Landscape on both cameras. Auto White balance.

Here I see a strange colour in the rocks and in the trees on the R6. The R image is more  pleasant to my eyes.

EOS REOS REOS R6EOS R6

On this one it's clear: I don't like the blue snow in the R6 image at all; The AWB shows a warmer number the image is much colder though.

EOS REOS REOS R6EOS R6

On this one I like the R image more again: It has more life and shows the golden hour much better

EOS REOS REOS R6EOS R6

Do you like the bluish-yellowish snow on the R6? I don't.

EOS REOS REOS R6EOS R6

They are pretty close here

EOS REOS REOS R6EOS R6

Overall:

Could I have tuned the R6 image further?

Yes. But the image of the R turns to my taste with very little effort.

Do I want for example to fiddle around to get the snow neutral on the R6? Not really.

It may be better to ensure both cameras are set to either Faithful or Neutral.  And then dial in a specific color temperature (Kelvin).   That should then show off the differences better.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I neither like the Faithful nor the Neutral color setting.

For landscape photography I like the Landscape profile much more. That’s why it’s called Landscape 😉 .

And I’m relying on the auto white balance. They are set similarly on both cameras automatically.

This is my workflow. I’m sorry you don’t like it.

I'm not saying to alter your general workflow.  Not sure why you thought that.  I was recommending changes for when specifically comparing two cameras to each other.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

OK here we go.

Indeed there is not much difference left in Canon's Neutral profile. 

Maybe the R6 is for hardcore pros who want to set everything by themself in terms of colors and white balance.

But this is not everybody's workflow. I like on most cameras the Canon Landscape profile though they can be very different on different camera. The Standard profile is differs as well among cameras.

I don't know who designed the profiles for the R6 but he didn't make a good job for my taste.

Another strange behavior could be the auto white balance which is different from older cameras, but I don't want to dive into things I don't fully understand. AWB has to work for my taste; I'm not the grey card guy and it's strange kinda on the R6.

My Workflow for this comparison:

Neutral Canon camera profile applied in Lightroom.

Custom while balance applied with the color picker on the EOS R, edited to taste and then synced with the R6 (Neutral color profile is named differently, so I had to choose is manually because it's called "Neutral v2" on the EOS R)

EOS REOS REOS R6EOS R6

EOS REOS REOS R6EOS R6

EOS REOS REOS R6EOS R6

EOS REOS REOS R6EOS R6

click here to view the gallery
Announcements