cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really unhappy with EOS R6. Curious to know if others have similar Wi-Fi, IBIS, color issues.

johninbigd
Enthusiast

I previously had a 60D, a 6D, then an R. I recently upgraded to the R6 and have mostly been unhappy with the expenditure. I do love the improved eye AF. That makes shooting a breeze! I also love the AF joystick and and the return of the old style control wheel. So nice! But.....the problems.

In order of mild to worst:

1. Horrible wifi connectivity problems

2. IBIS doesn't seem to work with any of my lenses (Tamron and Sigma, through an adapter)

3. Colors are horrible and photos lack contrast, creating a flat smeared sort of look that is really unpleasant

I process my photos in Lightroom Classic and have the most recent version available. I had zero problems with the 60D, 6D and R. Photos from any of those bodies look fantastic, especially the R. Colors are vibrant, skin tones are gorgeous, and there is plenty of contrast. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I absolutely hate the results. So much so that I'm already considering selling it. It's too late to return it, unfortunately. 

Have any of you run into these issues, particularly with the color and contrast?

92 REPLIES 92

Thank you for your input. It's been a long while I've started using R6 and I still hate the photos it produces and I am unable to tweak it, so I mainly use it for video - in which it excels. My 5dmk4 (and 5dmk2) is still my main photo camera and it never disappoints.

From my experience I have learned so far:

The R6 does have pretty bad colors out of the box (JPEG) and with the color profiles applied in post processing as well (Yeah because the profiles are applied to the before mentioned JPEG files as well in camera).

The R6 is a pro camera and pros can take control over the flat color profile.

I you want a fast result with the Canon color profiles, which had very good reputation in the past, yeah that's why people choose Canon in the first place right, than you might be disappointed.

Im a hobby photographer who bought the R6, which is actually a old camera now, for less money and I expected to get the result I got from my old Canon full frame cameras I owned or still own.

In my ranking there is the 5D Mark III with the best colors and clarity, followed by the EOS R, the EOS 5D Mark II, the EOS RP, the 6D Mark II, and the 6D. Yeah I placed the 6D last because in my opinion it had strange colors as well.

Oh wait: last place is actually the R6, sorry ^^

But the R6 has noticeably better shadow recovery than the R and the 6D. The other above mentioned Canon cameras were very very bad in shadow recovery. Banding can appear very quickly in the 5D Mark II and Mark III files.

Mind posting the raw samples of the pictures above? Would be interesting to see how DPP handles the files.

What about my two raw samples if you run them in Lightroom?

click here to view the gallery
Announcements