cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RP Red Blinking Camera Icon on Screen

jponzini
Apprentice

How do I get rid of this red blinking camera icon in the corner of the screen? I have the EOS RP.IMG_3545.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

Lotus7
Rising Star

The blinking red camera icon is what Canon calls a "jitter alert".  It means that motion blur is likely at the shutter speed selected for the focal length of the lens in use when shooting hand-held.

What is the FL of the lens you were using?

That warning means that Canon recommends using a tripod, opening up the aperture, switching to an "IS" lens, or increasing the sensitivity (ISO) setting to achieve a higher shutter speed.  Since 1/200th is usually a reasonable speed for lens focal lengths of 200 mm or shorter, I suspect you had a long telephoto lens mounted.

Also, having the camera set to Tv mode (fixed shutter speed selected) and having a lens cap attached (no light entering the lens) will also trigger a "jitter alert".

Yes the 100-400 and the 600

Conventional wisdom suggests that you should have a shutter speed that is at least equal to the inverse of your focal length, so for example: when shooting with your 600mm lens, you need a shutter speed of 1/600sec.  Lens optical stabilization will assist, but much depends on the steadiness of your ability to hold a lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yep!  Crank up the ISO for a higher shutter speed or learn to use a braced two-handed lens holding technique and practice releasing the shutter while exhaling slowly.  Of course, that only is workable for fixed (still) subjects.  If you're shooting anything that moves with the 600 mm lens, even with smooth panning you really should be shooting at 1/2000 or 1/4000.

I absolutely agree with you there.   Holding technique is very important.  I don't know how @jponzini holds the camera, but it is imperative for all but the shortest focal lengths to hold the camera with the eye to the viewfinder and the elbows tucked into the torso.  Have the left hand under the lens to cradle it and gently manipulate the camera controls with the right. How_to_hold_a_camera.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you shooting video?   If so, then you need a tripod when using super telephoto focal lengths.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements