cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RP Firmware update?

JT2140
Apprentice

I know the EOS RP is getting to be an older camera in Canon's line up. The last Firmware update was on November of 2020. Is there no more support for the RP? 

I know this post is wishful thinking, but having some features that are simply software omissions would be great. Like a manual focus meter, and additional customization options for button configurations. 

Just want to hear thoughts. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Sometimes, not all things are solvable with firmware (could be hardware limitations).   Having said that, do provide feedback to Canon if you haven't done so already for the desired features.  You can do so by visiting the Canon USA Main Page, and at the very bottom next to the copyright notice, click on "[+] Feedback" and select "Product" in the popup window.

One thing I have observed is that it seems that Canon's professional gear ends up having more firmware updates over time.   Perhaps that gear is prioritized higher?  Anyhow, do provide Canon your feedback and hopefully if they receive enough feedback, they'll prioritize it.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Sometimes, not all things are solvable with firmware (could be hardware limitations).   Having said that, do provide feedback to Canon if you haven't done so already for the desired features.  You can do so by visiting the Canon USA Main Page, and at the very bottom next to the copyright notice, click on "[+] Feedback" and select "Product" in the popup window.

One thing I have observed is that it seems that Canon's professional gear ends up having more firmware updates over time.   Perhaps that gear is prioritized higher?  Anyhow, do provide Canon your feedback and hopefully if they receive enough feedback, they'll prioritize it.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

JT2140
Apprentice

Thanks. I was looking for a way to provide feedback. With the R8's announcement, I'm thinking the RP might be EOL support wise, but I was thinking it might still be worth submitting feedback. With the example of the manual focus meter, the EOS R had it, and released prior to the RP. So maybe there is hope.

FilmCanister
Enthusiast

The RP I bought in November 2022 came with firmware version 1.6.1, which doesn't look like it's available to the public yet.

I bought mine RP a few weeks ago and it came with firmware version 1.6.2, which isn't available to public as well.

I'm really interested if I should or shouldn't change it to one, which is available on Canon website?

Could you take a picture of the back of your camera display, showing the firmware version?

Thank you!

I'm sure that this kind of thing is frustrating to people.  But just bear in mind that not every firmware update has features that would be relevant to existing cameras.

For example, they might have changed to a different Bluetooth chip, and the new firmware just has a driver for that chip.  If so, that would be totally irrelevant for older cameras.

Again, I don't actually know, but having spent years developing tech products, I know that this kind of thing happens.  A lot.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements