cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R8 buffer freezes after taking one photo

Gravity
Apprentice

When I take a single photo with my R8 camera using the Cannon EF mount adapter and my Rokinon14mm F2.8 Full Frame Ultra Wide Angle (w/ built in chip), My R8 will freeze up on me. The screen goes black, the shutter fires like it is taking a picture, the red buffer light turns on, and it gets stuck like this indefinitely. Not only do I have to turn off the camera, I need to remove the battery.

The 14mm Rokinon lens works with my EOS Rebel T7.My Cannon EF to RF adaptor works with my Sigma 70/200mm lens. I turned on "Release shutter without lens." I have not seen any more suggestions on any forums. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gravity,

Yes, the aperture is a function of the lens, not of the camera. If your aperture is showing a blank screen, it means that the camera is not electronically communicating with the lens.

You wrote, "Taking a single picture should be fine and it works specifically with every other lens."

Time for a different lens, methinks.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Gravity,

You might look to your memory card. Either re-format the one you've got, or buy another.

Steve Thomas

March411
Rising Star

To Steve's point, exactly what memory card are you using? Normally a buffer challenge is connected to the card.

Have you tried another card?

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You might also turn off lens corrections, the camera should just ignore corrections for the lens, but if it is reporting itself as another lens, it may confuse the camera.

Gravity
Apprentice

I did some more troubleshooting and am less optimistic of a solution.

All of my gear works with other products. It seems like a software issue between the Rokinon lens and the R8. My SD card is a 256GB 200Mb/s v30. Taking a single picture should be fine and it works specifically with every other lens. When I listen carefully the Shutter never closes and I think that is why the red buffer light is stuck on. The "solution" is to put tape over the pins on the Rokinon lens. However, this means I'm stuck in whatever aperture I used last on my Rebel T7.  

Turning off lens corrections did not help, but it made me notice that when the pins are not covered the camera has a weird bug where the aperture doesn't show up at all. Normally the screen should say "f00" when the camera is not connected to the lens. Instead the aperture section is blank. Please let me know if there is anything I can do on my end. 

IMG_9424.jpg

This is how the screen looks when the pins are uncovered. There is no aperture value.

Gravity,

Yes, the aperture is a function of the lens, not of the camera. If your aperture is showing a blank screen, it means that the camera is not electronically communicating with the lens.

You wrote, "Taking a single picture should be fine and it works specifically with every other lens."

Time for a different lens, methinks.

Steve Thomas

click here to view the gallery
Announcements