cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Mark II-Blue Lines Shooting Across Screen When Focusing

PNWDB
Contributor

Greetings everyone, first time poster here. Have fortunately never really needed support until now. Figured I'd try the forum before doing any sort of service call.

I purchased a used R6 Mark II from a local guy. Said he had purchased it but didn't realize "how complicated" it was and couldn't return it as you threw away the bag with the receipt in it(he bought it at a local shop.) Only about 400 shots taken with it. The price was good enough that I decided to buy it anyway. Tested it briefly and everything seemed to work okay. 

I'm noticing now that when focusing, these blue lines show up horizontally across the frame both on the LCD and viewfinder. I thought it was odd but didn't think much of it as it was in low light and I thought maybe it was just some sort of noise. My R5 does not do this whatsoever, though, so it began to raise concern. I then tried video and the lines still show up as well as show up in the recording itself, rendering any client work that needs to be done basically impossible regarding video as I don't know if there is a way to edit these lines out.

If the camera is sitting idle then they don't show up but as soon as any focusing takes place, the lines will be there at random points on the screen. Tested with the 50mm 1.8, the 50mm 1.2, and the 15-35 2.8, lens doesn't seem to matter. Focusing mode didn't change it either. I tried resetting the camera and it is on the current firmware. Is something damaged or am I just missing something? I don't believe I can do a warranty claim as I do not have a receipt. Any replies are much appreciated. 

17 REPLIES 17

The lines appear in the EVF, back LCD screen, and in video recordings themselves. They appear too erratic to catch in photos but very clearly show up in recorded video when played back on the camera. I will try to upload it to my computer to see if it is still present but if it's showing up in the recording I'm guessing it will be present when uploaded as well. 

Not necessarily. It could be an electronic fault with the camera itself. But if the camera is defective I would return it.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I would definitely return if I was the original purchaser but I got it used. Guy said he's going to try and get me a re-printed receipt as Canon said even if I'm not the original buyer, if I have a receipt then I can still get it registered. 

It is odd, I haven't found a single thing about this on the internet anywhere. After more testing it really seems to happen mainly in lower light conditions but part of the reason I wanted this body is for its alleged better low light capabilities vs. my R5.  

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

His story sounds suspicious to me. If it was a local store I am sure they could identify the seller. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I kind of thought this as well. I have never had to do it but I'm sure they could look up when it was sold and have a receipt on file they could reprint. I was a bit caught in the moment as after taking into account tax, the body/lens it came with was about $800 off so I was a bit hasty in my decision making. Everything seems to operate perfectly except for these lines. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I cannot tell from the one image, but the only thing I believe this could be if the camera doesn't have a hardware fault are aspect ratio markers.  I think this is found in C.Fn4.

If you are certain you have reset custom functions and they are still present, its time to contact the "GoodFellas" and visit the guy who sold you the camera.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

You know Rick, I was about there with you but I contacted the guy and he said he should be able to get me a fresh receipt from the local shop he bought it at. That way, according to Canon, I can still register it and get it looked at. Was just hoping someone here knew something about it. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

If you get a receipt, try with the retailer.  If they won't help and the camera is less than a yr old, Canon should be able to help you.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements