cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Firmware update stalled and unable to complete

ArmanM
Apprentice

Hello, last night I downloaded the latest firmware (1.5) to a memory card and tired installing on the R6. After about 10 min it stalled at 56% so I left as is overnight and it’s still at 56%. I can’t turn the camera off and not sure what to do to get my R6 functional again. I had the original factory firmware installed (1.1). I downloaded all available firmware updates to the memory card from Canon’s site. When I went into the menu, it gave me the option to select 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5 so I went with the latest.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since it appears to be hung up I don't see a downside to pulling the battery and starting over.

I would also delete all firmware update software from the card except the one you want to use.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello, ArmanM

Please proceed to power off the camera and remove the memory card. Please remove all firmware updates except for the most recent version. Insert the memory card back into the camera but please remove all attachments and accessories from the camera before powering it on. Please remove the lens, flash, and any other accessory that may be attached to it. Let's then power the camera back on and proceed to update the firmware. It may take a few minutes for the update to complete. In case the issue persists, then let's remove the latest version and attempt to update the EOS R6 to a prior version first, then proceed with updating the firmware to the most current version.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since it appears to be hung up I don't see a downside to pulling the battery and starting over.

I would also delete all firmware update software from the card except the one you want to use.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello, ArmanM

Please proceed to power off the camera and remove the memory card. Please remove all firmware updates except for the most recent version. Insert the memory card back into the camera but please remove all attachments and accessories from the camera before powering it on. Please remove the lens, flash, and any other accessory that may be attached to it. Let's then power the camera back on and proceed to update the firmware. It may take a few minutes for the update to complete. In case the issue persists, then let's remove the latest version and attempt to update the EOS R6 to a prior version first, then proceed with updating the firmware to the most current version.

Thanks for the support. I’ve been able to resolve this and here’s what I did in case others experience this issue. 

1. Removed battery

2. took card out, inserted into computer and deleted all files. 
3. loaded version 1.3 on card. 
4. Inserted card and fully charged battery into camera.
5. installed version 1.3 successfully on the camera.

6. Formatted card and then added version 1.4 and successfully installed. 

7. formatted card and installed 1.5.

took multiple steps but was able to get complete successfully.

Announcements