cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Firmware 1.8.0 Causing Error 70

mushralph
Apprentice

Ok I recently update my R6 to version 1.8.0 firmware and I have noticed that when using the custom setting c1-3, there seems to be an error 70 generation. I have done a full settings wipe. Set up my settings from scratch. Then the problem resurfaces on while using the custom settings c1-3. Further deductions to the problem is this problem only arises on those settings on the dial and only after I attempt to take the shot. Furthermore I notice on my screen/view finder that with a 128gb sd card I go from approximately 4k raw files to roughly 450 files. I checked the file selection in main camera settings menu 1(camera icon). It only lets me select raw and can not change to any other settings for jpeg or craw. Once I move back to any other settings manual, FV, AV etc and turn the camera off and back on. The issue ceases. So I believe there is a bug in the firmware that's causing issues with the custom slots for the camera.

10 REPLIES 10

Peter
Authority
Authority

I checked my R6 (1.8.0). No problem with C1-C3 so far.

FoggyTree
Apprentice

Hi mushralph.

I have exactly the same problem - updated my R6 yesterday. Today I wanted to do some shoots in C1, error 70 appeared. Battery out - Battery in, switched on in M Mode everything seems normal and I could go back to C1 and shoot without any problems. But as soon as I switch the camera off/on again -> same error. Only solution so far: battery out/in and switch camera on in M-Mode, kinda like a clean starting base ... very weird bug. Never had any issues with my R6 so far, original Canon LP-E6-NH. Pretty sure there is a bug in the latest firmware .... 😞

gentamicin
Apprentice

I meet the same problem!

FoggyTree
Apprentice

Actual solution: Downgrading to Firmware 1.7.0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LfFBpTD1gw&t=203s) / I used Option 1 as described in the video / solved the problem for me, no more error 70 issues when in C1-C3 modes. So I'm pretty sure its a rare software bug in the 1.8.0 firmware. I did some testings, and the error occurs when the camera has been in C1-C3 while shutting off. If u have it in M while shutting down and u restart next time on C1-C3 its working ... very weird. Hopefully Canon can fix it with the next update (?)

RudLee
Apprentice

I have same issue with both of my R6 camera body. One body is bit older about 2 years one body is about one year old.

Thanks to user mushralph I found this thread because at the begining I was blaming my EF - RF canon adapter with 70-200 2.8 ii, then switched to RF 50mm and error was the same.

When camera is switched off and on with any of C1-3 settings it switches on camera nad buffer shows that i can take 1 picture, AF and everything works but when shutter button is pressed it shows error 70 with AF point still visible, then only option to get it back working is switch camera to M mode( didn't try other settings) and take out battery after that it works fine even when switched to one of C modes and continues to work even woken up from sleep as normal except when switched off and back on in on of C modes.

Today got I got really sweaty hands and back because I was on job (with ony one body) and at first didn't notice that it does than only in C modes. Allready started to think how much will R6 motherboard raplacement cost.

Updated FW on 03.03.2023 from recently updated 1.7.0.

Will be downgrading ASAP.

Just did that this morning 

djspyguy
Apprentice

I had the same problem as well after upgrading to version 1.8.0 firmware. I downgraded to 1.7.0 using the EOS Utility program and everything is working again. Thank goodness! I thought I was going to have to send my camera off to be fixed!

I downgraded as well.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Screenshot_20230314-072429.jpg

Announcements