cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5C Autofocus Not Working

JTChapman
Apprentice

Hey all, I'm completely at a loss here. My camera has been working perfectly fine, and now suddenly the single-shot autofocus won't work...but only in video mode. This is the case for both adapted EOS and native RF lenses. I've cleaned the contacts on the lenses and the body, updated the firmware, changed my settings, and nothing seems to work. It'll work maybe one time out of thirty, and randomly select somewhere in the frame to focus. What's really strange is that continuous AF works just fine, I just can't force single-shot, it gives me a brownish box around maybe 85% of the screen (assuming this is to show the "whole area" focus area option). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Not sure what you are experiencing yet.  I've never seen a "brownish box" in photo or cinema mode before. 

Have you upgraded to FW 1.0.3.1? 

My first inclination would be this.  Make a back up of your settings to an SD Card.  Now perform a reset.  Both main and custom settings.

Retest AF function.  These types of issues are often caused by an incorrect setting, unless you are using 3rd party glass or adapter.

Let us know how you make out?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sorry, to hear about your issue.  The more details that you could provide, then the responses you receive could provide more insight and details.

Are you experiencing this issue in photo or video mode?  What is the subject and shooting conditions.

Exactly which lenses and/or lens mount adapter are you using?  What should we do to reproduce your issue?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

JTChapman
Apprentice

Update: a complete factory reset resolved the issue. Hope that helps anyone who experiences this in the future! Just for added details for anyone curious, this error only affected video mode. AF worked perfectly fine in photo mode. I tested the problem in firmware 1.0.1.1 and 1.0.3.1, both suffered the same exact problem. This was the case in all lighting conditions, from bright daylight to near-black interior scenes, with and without people in the scene. The two lenses I tested were the Sigma 24-70 2.8 with the Canon active EOS to RF adapter, and the Canon RF 50 1.8. Both suffered the same exact issue, and they had both worked fine a few days before. I don't believe I changed any settings that would cause this issue, so we may never know why it occurred, but hopefully these details will help other people in the future.   

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I have both of the lenses you referenced.  The Sigma works perfect in photo mode.  I did notice a little AF lag in Cinema mode in 1.0.1.1 and 1.0.2.1.  I've since retired this lens, so I have not tested it in 1.0.3.1.  This stuff does happen.  The menus are extremely complex. I've had to reset once or twice over the past year also.  Once you have things dialed in, making a back up can be helpful.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements