cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter Count for EOS Rebel T6

erinsampson21
Apprentice

Hello,

I have had my EOS Rebel T6 for seven years now.  Someone mentioned to me that cameras have a "shutter count" which I never knew about before.  Tried to upload my photo to an online shutter counter and it said my camera doesn't embed that information into its images.  I am a very heavy user of this camera using it almost every day shooting 200-400 images at a time over the course of all these years. 

Does anyone know how long the Rebel T6 can go without needing a shutter replacement? 

1 REPLY 1

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The T6 is rated at 100K shutter actuations. Depending on how often you shoot you could be close to that. 300 images once a week for seven years would be over 100K.

That is a statistical number. Some will go longer and some can fail sooner.

If you are an Apple user (iOS or macOS) you can purchase the ShutterCount software from the app store. People who have never used it are likely to pooh-pooh it.

I have used it on multiple 1D versions and three Rebels. Checked the count before and after sending to Canon for service and a count report. Reported values from the software were right on the money.

There is nothing you can do to affect it (except that heavy use of Live View or video imposes mirror box wear without incrementing the shutter count).

From other I understand it is a few hundred dollars to replace the mirror box assembly. 

If/when the time comes balance the potential repair cost against a new body.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements