cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D MARK III - used as streaming webcam - curious about weird image glitch that just started

tinyasparagus
Apprentice

Hi everyone!!
I have been using my canon 5D mark III as a webcam for live streaming for about 2.5 years (quite frequently as well) I use a card capture device and changed the firmware so the camera stays on past 30mins.

As of the last few weeks... the camera would randomly make this weird visual glitch? I have linked a video of it doing it while I was live. I wasn't sure if it was the wires or the card capture, so I switched those and it didn't happen as often. It does not happen EVER STREAM (I stream maybe 5-6 days a week and the camera being on 6-9 hours each day) But I have noticed it happens RANDOMLY. I don't know if its overheating, or is it the wires, or the streaming software I use (OBS Studios)

At first, just turning off the camera immediately and right back on- seems to not have it occur most times. However one time when I went to turn it off and walked behind the camera I saw the preview mode (which is always visible) on the back of the camera was glitching out as well... any help would be greatly appreciated!!
 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1815929719 
My community thinks it might be my firmware needs to be updated or, its overheating, the camera is dying and I need a new one, or the cardcapture/wire.

thank you for anyone that has read this and all the help!!

best,
Asparagus

1 REPLY 1

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello tinyasparagus,

That is hard to really determine. It does sound as though the camera is getting a good workload, so overheating does come to mind. Have you tried it on another computer to see if the same issue persists? That would help to narrow this down a bit more. You can send the camera into one of our service centers for testing. I would ask that you explain that the situation seems to be random, so they can do some extended testing of it. 

Announcements