cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 shows FEC -1 in M shooting mode.

capture-light
Contributor

I have noticed this but cannot find a solution. This happens only when shooting in M mode and the FEC is at 0. As soon as I change the FEC in either direction, the corresponding FEC is displayed appropriately. It does not affect my captures at all. I have tried with a 280EX II, Godox  X2T trigger and with 2 different Godox V1s. My software version is the most current 1.7 as of this writing. All other functions between a flash and the display are on point ie: Bounce Flash and non Bounce Flash indications.  20230323_193616.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With a clear mind today, I decided to go back into the in-body settings to check the "External Speedlight Control" settings. I don't know how I missed this before but it's right there in the center. I had set the FEC to -1 on my last shoot. I had totally forgotten about it and I couldn't find it. Naturally, I changed it back to "0" and it's all good now.

I'm such a Goober. LOL

Thanks for your assistance.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Are you using the 270EX II. Canon hasn't made a 280EX II they used to make a 380EX in the mid 90s. Also flash exposure bracketing is feature in the 550EX, 580EX, 580EX II, 600EX, 600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT, EL-1 & EL-5. The 270EX II doesn't support that feature.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Hi, I mistyped. It is a 580EX II. However, the display is present regardless of the flash or trigger on the hot shoe. The camera keeps displaying this FEC number (-1).

The symbol displayed is Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) not Flash Exposure Bracketing (FEB). The FEC symbol displayed looks like its been set with the camera body. If the speedlite has FEC dialed in the symbol is different. You also can't set FEC on both the camera or the speedlite. The speedlite's setting overrides the camera. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Sorry; I've corrected the typo. I did mention the correct acronym in my last reply.

Yes, it is FEC and that's why I've tried three different speedlights just to troubleshoot. Nothing changes it. I went into the camera's "External Speedlight control" settings to no avail.

I will try to double check my acronyms from here on. 🙂 Thanks.

Like I said, it doesn't affect the captures but it is annoying not being able to control it. Also, as mentioned in my original post, the indication does reflect changes off any "0" FEC changes I make on the speedlight. To me, it seems like a software issue.

Is the speedlite fully slid into to the hot shoe all of the way. With the 580EX II in the hot shoe. What happens if you dial in FEC on the speedlite. Does that have an affect on the picture. If both the camera body and the speedlite have FEC dialed in the speedlite overrides the camera body. Regardless of how much FEC is dialed in on the camera body. I don't own the 580EX II or the R5. I own the 600EX II-RT & 5D Mark IV but FEC adjustment hasn't changed.Set on CameraSet on CameraSet on Speedlite notice the different FEC symbolSet on Speedlite notice the different FEC symbol

FEC can't be changed from the camera body. When the speedlite has FEC dialed in.FEC can't be changed from the camera body. When the speedlite has FEC dialed in.

-Demetrius

With the 580EX II in (completely; verified) the speedlight FEC has the desired effect on the photo. This is why I'm thinking it's software. No matter what I dial into the speedlight, it is reflected on the display (LCD) of the camera as well as on the speedlight. But once I put the FEC back to "0", the output goes back to neutral and the flash does as we respectively. But, the indicated FEC on the camera is that as above in my attachment. (indicating an FEC of -1).

Thought there might be someone else who has experienced this.

Can you set BOTH the camera body and speedlite FEC to 0. If you can't something is definitely wrong. As for 3rd Party speedlites that's up to the manufacturer of the product NOT Canon.

-Demetrius

Yes, that's why I put the Canon flash on to ensure compatibility. I'm trying the C.Fn Settings in the camera. I do see the FEC setting (menu 13 and it is set to "0" Speedlight button and dial. I will play with this and come back.

Thanks for your help. Will soon need to go to bed though... work tomorrow. 🙂

Have you tried resetting the camera back to factory default. Reset all of the camera's custom functions back to factory default. Also reset the speedlite back to factory default. 

-Demetrius

Announcements