cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Hot Shoe trouble

Mgoldwyn
Apprentice

Has anyone else had trouble with the hot shoe coming loose on your R5?  I have had my R5 less than a year and had to send it in to Canon, and they want $450 to fix it!!!  I'm so upset, and this makes me want to switch to Nikon, for not standing behind their very expensive Camera.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?  

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You could also post this on dpreview.com and fredmiranda.com to poll users there.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Crews69
Contributor

@Mgoldwyn wrote: DMVNow

Has anyone else had trouble with the hot shoe coming loose on your R5?  I have had my R5 less than a year and had to send it in to Canon, and they want $450 to fix it!!!  I'm so upset, and this makes me want to switch to Nikon, for not standing behind their very expensive Camera.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?  

Canon has changed the design of the hot shoe on at least their R5 and R6 camera models. Over a very short period of time (18 months or less from the purchase date) the hot shoe becomes incredibly loose causing attached flashes to wobble, loose contact with the hot shoe, and eventually completely fall off the body of the camera.

jkahn923
Apprentice

Yes both my r5 and r6 are loose. Thankfully my r6 is still under warranty. R5 I bought second hand. Really upset I’ll have to dish out this much money on something that is Canons fault. Stuck in wedding season right now and the r5 hotshot is about to fall off 😞

Fraychild
Apprentice

Both my R5's are just a year old and are having the loose hot shoe issue... Canon wants to charge over $500 to repair... this doesn't make any sense.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This is pretty awful.  Sorry for anyone who this has happened to.  When I first learned about this and saw what the repair invloved, it almost makes you cringe.  I did purchase warranty on my R5 C.  I don't normally do this, but R5 and above body's these days are serious $$$$ cash.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jkahn923
Apprentice

So I made a post in June about loose hotshoes on r5 and r6. Thankfully I live 5 minutes from canon repair center. I brought them in, one under warranty, one not. It didn’t matter, they fixed both hotshoes at no cost and had it back in a day. Hopefully they stay tight. As for someone who doesn’t live near store you can always ship to canon. If you have a carepak high level, shipping is free. Thank you canon for fixing this issue at no cost 

sceneit
Enthusiast

I'm going out on a limb with this comment but here's the thing... I wouldn't put a non Canon flash on you R5. Not all flashes grip the camera the same. Canon's flashes all have a hard piece of molded rubber at the bottom of the flash that creates a water resistant seal around the flash connection. It's possible that this pressure is part of what makes the connection work properly, and if your flash attaches as many 3rd party flashes do, without said pressure, it will cause too much force to be placed on the silver part of the flash hot shoe instead of the black outer rim.

Like I said in previous post. Canon fixed mine for free and had it back within 24 hours (r5 and r6). I live a mile from the canon store in Burbank, CA, and were able to fix in shop. Other repairs get sent up North. I suggest if you have a shop nearby bring it in. If you need to mail it in, then you may need to pay shipping. That’s why CPS is worth the money.

Announcements