cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about using an EOS R100 as a webcam.

FullofEyes
Apprentice

Hello all, 

I'm a YT content creator accustomed to animation looking to add more regular 'talking head' videos to my lineup. 

I could use my iphone, but I'd like to get the quality (DoF, mainly) that comes with a lens-exchangeable camera. I have canon lenses, so I'd like to use a canon.

I've tried to do this with my 70D, however, if I use webcam utility, appears in my streaming / recording software (Stream Labs OBS) all choppy. I'm told this is due to the limitations of USB 2.0. If I use a CamLink to directly feed the hdmi signal to Stream Labs, then the video has the focus box constantly in view (and I want to shoot with AF on). 

SO -- I'm thinking the R100 is a good option for me. From what I've seen, it has clean hdmi out, so working with the camlink--even with AF activated--should be an option. Is that true? 

Would it, however, have any smoother video if I go the USB route in webcam utility since it, apparently, still works with USB 2.0 speeds?

What it boils down to is, can I stream and record clean video from the R100 via *either* Elgato's camlink 4k or webcam utility?

Any advice or relevant anecdotes are welcome.
Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi FullofEyes,

Older cameras like the EOS 70D weren't originally designed to use as a webcam, so that camera doesn't have a clean HDMI feed and it uses older USB protocols.

Our newer mirrorless cameras like the EOS R100 are designed with webcam use in mind, so it can be used as a webcam with either clean HDMI through your capture card or through a USB connection and our EOS Webcam Utility software. The video output will be clear and at a consistent frame rate through either connection set up on our newer mirrorless cameras.

Oh, that’s excellent news, especially regarding the webcam utility. Thank you very much!

One more question - I see I will need to purchase an EF to RF lens adapter to use my old glass. Will that adapter allow the AF function to work as normal with an EF lens on the R100?

Chriscips
Apprentice

Did you ever get you r100 to work as a webcam. I also have a r100 and it's been giving me a hard time.  I have a camlink 4k and it turns off at around 30 minutes sometimes more or less it's honestly kind of random. I know it's not the camera because I can connect wirelessly to eos webcam utility and stream thru obs for as long as I want with no issues just not happy with the quality of the feed. 

Announcements