Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R1 or EOS R5 Mark II ?

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hello everyone,

Are you interested in pre-ordering or have you pre-ordered the EOS R1 or EOS R5 Mark II ?  Let me know why? 

BTW, I preordered my R5 Mark II on 7-18-24  😊

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I have no intention of pre-ordering anything right now for a bunch of reasons:
a) I am still deciding if the technical innovations that are on offer are seriously going to improve my performance in the types of photography I do, and thus have value to me. 
b) I never pre-order anything, and that has shown to be a wise move, given the challenges and frustrations of those who have waited a long time for their pre-ordered RF lenses (I might add this is also true for Fuji and Nikon, but on-one seems to make such a fuss about that, likely because Canon is the bigger player). 
c) I prefer to let the dust settle and so will the prices,
d) So far as I have observed, the firmware is still under final completion, so I shall wait for the first post production firmware updates come along to fix the inevitable software issues.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

Those are valid points.  I myself was of the same opinion and didn't preorder anything until I felt that all the glitches if any were taken care of before I purchase it.  However, I preordered the R6 Mark II when it came out and I've been so happy with it and the way that canon updates its firmware that it was a no brainer to preorder the R5 Mark II.  Also, unlike you, I don't own an R5 and therefore the new technical innovations that are offered in the new R5 Mark II are seriously going to improve my performance in the types of photography I do and will have value to me.  I preordered the day after the announcement.  Since then, I have been reading all of the available reviews by those professionals that have been given the opportunity to test drive the new R5 MK2 (Some tested the camera for days other for 13 hours).  Thus far, I have yet to read a negative review and to the contrary, all are hailing the new camera, with all of its new functionality/features, as the world's best mirrorless camera at this time.  I'm happy that I preorder as my circumstances are bit different from yours.  In retrospect, I wish that I had preordered the RF200-800 F6.3-9 IS USM lens as it is still "Backordered".  I also don't see the price dropping on the new R5 Mark II until close to the time that the R5 Mark III comes out.  I read a comparison between the new R5 Mark II and Nikon's Z8;  and the conclusion is that "Given that there are a lot of individual differences, the two cameras are on a very similar level and overall performance." (by Spencer Cox) and both are the same price level.  Of course, the Canon R5 Mark II is a lot better.  As for the firmware, it's hearsay and canon is sure to ship the new R5 Mark II with the right firmware and with updates to follow as usual.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

Of course, each of us approaches this from different circumstances, so our decisions will be shaped by those. Bea assured I can only hail your efforts to research the R5II, and take the plunge.  Absolutely, I hope it is everything you seek it to be - certainly, to my eye, it is an amazing piece of kit.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements