cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about using an EOS R100 as a webcam...

FullofEyes
Apprentice

Hello all, 

I'm a YT content creator accustomed to animation looking to add more regular 'talking head' videos to my lineup. 

I could use my iphone, but I'd like to get the quality (DoF, mainly) that comes with a lens-exchangeable camera. I have canon lenses, so I'd like to use a canon.

I've tried to do this with my 70D, however, if I use webcam utility, appears in my streaming / recording software (Stream Labs OBS) all choppy. I'm told this is due to the limitations of USB 2.0. If I use a CamLink to directly feed the hdmi signal to Stream Labs, then the video has the focus box constantly in view (and I want to shoot with AF on). 

SO -- I'm thinking the R100 is a good option for me. From what I've seen, it has clean hdmi out, so working with the camlink--even with AF activated--should be an option. Is that true? 

Would it, however, have any smoother video if I go the USB route in webcam utility since it, apparently, still works with USB 2.0 speeds?

What it boils down to is, can I stream and record clean video from the R100 via *either* Elgato's camlink 4k or webcam utility?

Any advice or relevant anecdotes are welcome.
Thanks!

0 REPLIES 0
click here to view the gallery
Announcements