cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with my af points and red flashing light in viewfinder

mikkidk
Contributor

Just bought the canon 7d mark II. Before I had a Canon 40D.

Right from the start I have some annoying issues about the viewfinder. Every time I press half to adjust the AF points there's a red flash showing up in the whole viewfinder.

I don't want this red flash and can't see the idea with this, if It should be some new "smart" feature from Canon.

But there must be a way to turn this off. Or is my camera broken?

Please see my little video where I show this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just had my cam to canon service. The red flash is supposed to be there.

I asked them why and asked them what the point was with the red flash. They couldn't explain It (!?)

So I suppose this red flash is some kind of half ass.... smart thing made by Canon without any idea. Great Canon..... not!!

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

It does seem to be trying to get your attention for some reason. (It appears to be succeeding, FWIW.) If I had to venture a guess without downloadeing the user manual (which I haven't bothered to do yet, since I don't have a 7D2), I might wonder if it's telling you that your preferred card slot is empty. That would explain why I've never seen the phenomenon on my 7D's, which have only one card slot.

I'm probably wrong, but one has to start somewhere. Out of curiosity, what does the manual say about it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No, It hasn't nothing to do with empty slots.

ezpop
Rising Star

Yes. RTM.

It can be changed in the menu.

Yes, you need to turn down the bightness.  RT()M is a little rude when folks ask questions on an "interactive" forum.  If they don't know or don't want to answer, than don't.  But you should probably familarize yourself with the 7D Mk II's controls and features.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1, I have had my canon 40D for 5 years and learned how to deal with It. I have never seen those red flash a viewfinder before I bought this 7dmarkII. I just don't see the point that the viewfinder should be lighten up by red light besides the red focus-point.

I have searched in the manual but until now I haven't found anything.

I don't have a 7D Mk II, yet, but if you have all the focus points on and it is fairly dark you will probably see the red flash.  Does the Mk II have the grid line feature?  It may be turned on also and be brighter in the dark shooting venues. I know on my 1 series if you turn on all 45 focus squares, they can be pretty bright.

If you can not find a way to reduce this, either call Canon or take it in for a look see.  It may need service.

EB

I only got one AF point activated.

Yes, It features the gridline. I don't use It

You may, probably, need to have it serviced.  Sorry! Smiley Sad

EB

Yes, I think I have to go to the store tomorrow and ask whats wrong.

Announcements