cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Focus with Auto AND Manual settings

elladad
Contributor

Hello,

I am new to the forum and decided to join because I have a problem with my Canon EOS Rebel XTi 10.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with 18-55 Lens. This camera is my baby, mainly because I cannot afford to buy a new one. I was always careful with my camera and had it for six years already.

Anyways, if I use the AUTO setting with any of these exposure modes: M, P, S or TV, A or AV, it doesn't focus. It may work for a regular shot but I need to take CLOSE UP shots and it does not even want to try to focus on the item.

This goes the same way with MANUAL setting.

Simply put, my camera does not work perfectly like it used to.

I really hope that my lenses are not broken and I also am too scared to try to fix anything myself. I wanted to know if anyone has any expert advice.

I hope you guys could help me and I really appreciate it. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

hsbn
Whiz

There is a minimum focus distance with every lens. If your object is closer than your lens minimum focus distance, it will not focus. According to Canon site, the minimum focus distance for that lens is around 10 inches.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Hello hsbn,

Thank you for replying. I am familiar that every lens has their focus distance, however; when my camera used to work properly, it would take those close up shots beautifully. For example, I could take photos of small animals and it was perfect.

I really appreciate your reply. I have had this camera for years and I never had a problem with it until now. It is not as responsive as it used to be.

It sounds like you've got a lot of mileage on your body and lens.  I would suspect your lens is dying or is dead, at least the AF motor.   I'm sure it's not worth spending much money getting an older 18-55 lens repaired.  So what I would do is take your body and lens down to a camera shop and "shop" for a new lens.   Tell them your problem and try out some new lens so you can at least eliminate the body or lens.

if you haven't already, do a full reset on your camera just to make sure nothing odd has been set.  Also, is this your original battery?  Make sure your battery is outputting the full and proper voltage.  If you have or have access to, put a meter on a fully charged battery.   The specs should be printed on the battery.

Good luck

Hello 7D5D,

Thank you for your response. I found your response very helpful and I appreciate your help. There should be a shop near me that offers discounts for students so I will definitely ask them. By any chance, do you know if this happens to all cameras (the killing the lenses)?

I have had this camera forever and I was wondering if I should upgrade. Or if I should simply get new lenses? But should I continue using 18-55? I used to search for what I may think are good deals on camera but I never wanted to risk it if I bought a camera I didn't like. Do you think you could advice me with this as well? It will help me a lot.

Yes, I have the original battery.  I will go to RadioShack and check the battery voltage.

@elladad wrote:

Hello 7D5D,

...do you know if this happens to all cameras (the killing the lenses)?

I have had this camera forever and I was wondering if I should upgrade. Or if I should simply get new lenses? But should I continue using 18-55? I used to search for what I may think are good deals on camera but I never wanted to risk it if I bought a camera I didn't like. Do you think you could advice me with this as well? It will help me a lot.

Yes, I have the original battery.  I will go to RadioShack and check the battery voltage.

Yes, eventually the motors will wearout on any lens.  I would not consider it "killing a lens."  It very well could be that the battery does not have enough voltage to power the lens' motor and it could be as simple as a new battery.

I've got to head out the door now but why don't you list your budget and shooting requirements and you will get some very good advise from the regulars on this forum on an upgrade path.  First get your gear check out so you know if it is your lens, body, or just the battery.

Thank you! Will do.
Announcements