cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos coming out fuzzy on brand new 90D

nicktine
Apprentice

Upgraded from my rebel T7 to the 90 D because I wanted something more professional within my budget. Photos are coming out with what seems to me to be more noise than the photos I was getting with a T7 I’m wondering if it’s something I’m doing wrong or if my expectations are simply too high

ive been holding my camera Close to my body and gently squeezing shutter

photo info:

iso:100 ap:14 tv:1/60

3.jpg

[URL replaced with destination image.]

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What shooting mode were you using?  What lens did you use?

I think the main problem with this image is that the shutter speed is too slow.  But, the slow shutter speed is probably a result of setting aperture to f/14 and/or setting ISO 100.

This camera will behave a little differently from your previous camera.  I recommend setting the camera to P mode.  It is one of the best modes for inexperienced photographers to use to learn a new camera body.  

While you may have used the T7 for well over a year or two, the fact is the T7 is an entry level camera body.  The 90D is much more advanced camera.  You have made the jump from a tricycle to a 16 speed road bike.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Camera mode was Manual, I thought the rule of thumb was to match your shutter speed to your lens focal length in this case I was using a canon Efs stm 18-55mm, I believe I shot this at 18mm wouldn’t 1/60 be more than enough speed for this photo?

And yeah I’m noticing it’s not as point and shoot as the t7 but the photos I am nailing are very pleasing, maybe it’s just a learning curve I have to ride out?

Any tips?

The “ 1/FL Rule “ is a guide for setting a minimum shutter speed, not your actual shutter speed.  The rule applies to full frame image sensors.  When using a camera with an APS-C sensor I would advise using 1/(2*FL).  But, because of the high resolution sensor in the 90D I recommend using a minimum shutter speed of 1/(4*FL).

There is [no] rule that says all photos must be captured using ISO 100.  With a wide angle lens, the Depth of Field can easily extend from a few feet away out to infinity using f/5.6.

Again, I recommend using P mode and observing the camera settings that [the] camera chooses.  With your 18-55mm lens, try to use a minimum shutter speed between 1/400 and 1/1600, depending upon how bright the outdoor scene might be.

There is definitely a learning curve with every new camera 🙂  I have been shooting sports with Canon 1DX series bodies for years and I just bought a tiny Canon M6 Mark II for easy carry on for pleasure flights and I have had to relearn a few things with it.

Using the rule of thumb that the shutter speed should be at least as fast as the reciprocal of the focal length, 1/60 sounds find for 18mm but keep in mind that 18mm with the APS C sensor is equivalent to nearly 30mm in terms of that rule of thumb so 1/60 isn't as conservative as it sounds.  And the rule of thumb is a little less useful as you start getting into very slow shutter speeds like 1/60 where it is pretty easy to create motion blur from camera shake, especially when using a 32 MP sensor.

With the lens set for 18mm focal length, if you use a f5.6 aperture setting and focus on a point 20 feet away then everything from about 10 feet from you to infinity will be within critical focus.  This avoids being so far beyond the camera's DLA and will also result in a much faster shutter speed for the same exposure conditions avoiding any chance of camera shake causing blur.

And congratulations on having a VERY important job.  The first year I was in my PhD program, I was stuck in a malfunctioning elevator early on a Friday evening.  Thanks to the fast response of an elevator service person, I was out of the elevator in under two hours 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Honestly, there are a lot of variables here.  We have no idea of the shooting information (since there is no link), so it would be helpful if we knew if you were using your previous lenses and what they are, also any other lenses you are using.

Can you please publish your EXIF data for the sample above?  I downloaded the file and there is none included and the image is significantly reduced in resolution.  Also please advise what shooting modes you have been using.

When you say you are shooting with the camera close to your body, do you mean held down and looking through the LCD at the back, or with the camera to your eye and looking through the viewfinder?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

You'll find the originally-posted link HERE.

Thanks Danny for that effort, however upon uploading the image and viewing in PS, there is still not EXIF data - so my questions to the OP still stand.  Thanks again for the effort though! 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I apologize for my late reply, I work in the city as an elevator mechanic and I was quite busy today on call. However I was able to bring my camera in my tool bag and get some shots of the upper Eastside while I had no calls.

I am shocked with everybody’s very in-depth replies and how much time and effort everyone puts reply to my question. In the Original photo I posted I am using a Canon EFS STM 18–55 mm lens I bought for about $200 at a photography store here in the city although I don’t live here I live in the country.

I managed to stop at Best Buy today and buy a 50mm EF fixed focal length lens with a minimum aperture of f1.8 

I will post a link below of the original photo in question hopefully it is the ForAll file as I have figured out how to post from Lightroom included are some more photos I took today with the 50 mm EF lens I feel like I get better images with this but if you can please let me know if I’m doing anything wrong I appreciate everybody’s help it is so awesome to see A community form with such intelligent and skilled people willing to help.

Here’s the link:https://adobe.ly/3QuJcPW

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

ive been holding my camera Close to my body and gently squeezing shutter”

You should be looking through the OVF, optical viewfinder, with your elbows close to your body.  No chicken wings.  Not only is it harder to steady the camera, someone can bump your elbow and down goes you camera.

Announcements