cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over exposed images from my CANON 5DSR suddenly

tdehan
Enthusiast

The past few times I've used my 5DSR the images are over exposed.  They are way to bright.  I have the ISO at 50 or 100 and they keep coming out to bright.  This is happening inside with little light so I can't figure out why this is happening.  When I am outside with little light it is even worse.  In order to correct it I have to engage Exposure Compensation.  I've never had to do this before.

Any suggestions or ideas why this is suddenly happening?

Canon EOS 5R
Canon EOS 6R
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Macro
Canon EF 180mm f3.5L Macro USM AutoFocus Telephoto
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom
Canon Extender 1.4 III
Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 DG Macro
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C
15 REPLIES 15

tdehan,

I expected the image to be the same BUT what did the exposure bar in the camera show?  If it showed a standard exposure with those settings using spot metering on the blown out portion, then it sounds like a problem with the metering system.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What happens if you shoot outdoors?

EXIF data indicates you used matrix metering. The black background is a significant part of the image and the exposure system is targeted to an overall middle gray.

The histogram for the image you posted looks like this:

Screenshot 2021-08-29 202644.jpg

The spike is driven by the black background.

But since the cmaera wants to see middle gray I suspect your out of camera histogram/image looks sort of like this:

Screenshot 2021-08-29 202744.jpg

Negative 2 or so exposure compensation to make middle gray black is not unusual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Sure.  However, this has only started to happen recently.  I've never had this issue prior with the black background.

I'm still searching to see what could have changed.

Thanks

Canon EOS 5R
Canon EOS 6R
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon Extender 1.4 III
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
What changed? Carefully compare EXIF data.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

klyhthwy
Apprentice

Are you noticing over exposure in your RAW images or JPG images? Could it be the Auto Lighting Optimizer setting? Highlight Tone Priority? Or HDR Mode? Could some of these or other settings be ones you were using but they got switched off. Maybe try settings on as well as off which you might have used in the past to see if possibly one inadvertantly switched off might have affected the exposure.

Maybe try recreating a shot you have done previously where you were satisfied the camera was expsoing correctly and see if the problem exists in that setup. Maybe you have done this already...

Just ideas. Good luck.

@klyhthwy wrote:

Are you noticing over exposure in your RAW images or JPG images? Could it be the Auto Lighting Optimizer setting? Highlight Tone Priority? Or HDR Mode? Could some of these or other settings be ones you were using but they got switched off. Maybe try settings on as well as off which you might have used in the past to see if possibly one inadvertantly switched off might have affected the exposure.

Maybe try recreating a shot you have done previously where you were satisfied the camera was expsoing correctly and see if the problem exists in that setup. Maybe you have done this already...

Just ideas. Good luck.

I only shoot in RAW so only RAW images.  I checked Auto Lighting Optimizer setting which I've never changed or done anything with.  It was set to STANDARD.  I've now disabled it to see if that helps.  Both Hightlight Tone Priority and HDR Mode are disabled already.

Canon EOS 5R
Canon EOS 6R
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon Extender 1.4 III