cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise on EOS R8 Image

HB502
Contributor

I recently bought an R8 and have been trying my hand at photographing some sunsets.  However, it seems that whatever I do, I get a lot of noise in the image.  I've tried wide and small aperture (f/4.5 - f/11), auto ISO and setting ISO to 100 to force a shutter speed, tripod and not, and changing the exposure / metering settings.  Example attached (this one is 24mm, f/4.5, 1/1600 shutter, ISO 200).  The clouds / sky in the picture (and in all of them) has a grainy texture (noticeable on the full shot at normal zoom, and much more so when magnified). 

I'm stumped on what might be causing it and how I can get this resolved.  Any help would be appreciated.   

IMG_4811.jpg

screen shot.png

20 REPLIES 20

Thank you, will check it out!
Just did, alas Adobe cripples the image for transmission.  You would need to share it via a file-sharing app like MS OneDrive (you need a MS email account) or Google share program, info on that via this link:
Share photos & videos - Computer - Google Photos Help
Definitely need the full CR3 file, but useful to know you are using Lightroom as  your photo editor

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Jeff:
Well, some success - I have a somewhat better view but the file has been drastically reduced in size to just 173kB and the metadata is gone - the file now seems to be reduced to a small JPG file.   When you post, is there an option to have no compression?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

there was, and I thought for sure I checked the box that said something to the effect of "full size" as opposed to the space saver option.  

Are you able to check the google drive link?  For that I uploaded a zip that says it contains the files which are 8 and 12 MB.

I clicked on the link but need  your permission to access the file according to the program, so I requested it.

cheers, TREVOR

ok... should have access now.  

Skärmbild från 2024-01-03 23-08-55.png

It is dark, but even if I brighten the sky I don't get the same noise as you got. I still think your noise issue is due to your sharpening in Lightroom. I also think Adobe still uses AHD as demosaicing method (Adaptive Homogeneity-Directed). Good for areas of high contrast. Not so good for low contrast.

What it looks like for me in darktable without any sharpening, lens profile or NR.

Skärmbild från 2024-01-03 23-13-24.png

A demosaicing method dedicated for high contrast, like AHD/RCD/AMaZE, will also let you see the artifacts from CRAW easier.

AHD:

Skärmbild från 2024-01-03 23-39-38.png

Skärmbild från 2024-01-03 23-49-42.png

VNG4 that is good for maze pattern or low contrast:

Skärmbild från 2024-01-03 23-41-55.png

Skärmbild från 2024-01-03 23-50-38.png

Thanks for this.  After this I tried opening them in DPP and subjectively it looked a litter better (exported jpgs were objectively better as well, but that could have been the export settings).  I'm going to have to read this a few more times though before I can digest it all.  

Currently out shooting. Will check when I get home!

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Thanks for sorting out the access for me.  I have downloaded the three files and expanded them.  I am now looking at them in PS.

In looking at 4811.cr3 my reaction is that there is some noise, particularly in the clouds, but TBH, I would expect that, given that the exposure is reduced to accommodate the bright light of the exposed sun.  As I alluded to before, the dynamic range of the sensor is nowhere near our perception.  Noise comes from under-exposure and very high ISO values - the latter of which you obviously don't have.  I think that in getting the sunlit area right, the clouds (in some areas where they were darkest), have noise.  There is also some drop-off of sharpness and in this case
I think it might have been interesting to use some different settings: Your EXIF data shows the following for the file 4811.CR3 1/1600sec, f/4.5, ISO-200. 
I would tend to go for a slower shutter speed and still catch the waves, in fact a much slower shutter speed might have had some nice movement effects, providing an element of dynamism, but that's an artistic debate!  Still, dropping to even 1/800sec, would allow a f/stop of 5.6 which would increase the depth of field.

The great landscape photographer, Ansel Adams once said that the negative (in this case the RAW image) was like the score of an orchestral piece, and just as the conductor interprets it to give it life and expression, so does post production with a photo.
So, one might say that the RAW image is simply that: RAW.  The rest is meant to be achieved in the digital darkroom.  Some may debate that, and that's the nature of any art.   I took the image and played with it in PS, see what you think of this resulting JPG...

IMG_4811 copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements