cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie EOS R - Day 1

kenstjohn
Contributor

I've been shooting a 6D2 for about three years now, and decided to add a second body .. in my case a brand new EOS R.  I'm using the adapter with my current EF lenses, primarily due to budget constraints.  Who knows what the future might bring? Smiley Wink

In my less than 20 shots last night after updating the firmware 1.8, I noticed that the rear LCD remains on when I stow it facing out.  I tried the "manual" option in the menus, but this just meant everything was in the viewfinder.  

What I would like is to mimic my 6D2 ... that is: with the rear LCD off, look through the viewfinder, see the scene, take the image, then review it (chimp) on the rear LCD for a few seconds.  The LCD then goes blank again until needed after the next shot or when turned on to review a menu, etc..  

Is there a way to configure the R this way?

If not, it's certainly not a deal breaker ... but I can imagine that it will suck a lot more from the battery if it's "on" all the time!!

Thanks ... I'm sure there will be more questions in the days to come!!

Ken

Livin' in the Great Northwest!!
Canon 6D Mk II, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f4
4 REPLIES 4

Try cycling through the INFO button until you get a blank screen. That's the way our R6, and others work to get a blank screen.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Tried that ... still stays on. I'm thinking I'll just keep it turned to the inside (thus powered off) and "chimp" on the EVF!!

Thanks!!

Ken

Livin' in the Great Northwest!!
Canon 6D Mk II, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f4

Give canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and see what they say.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@kenstjohn wrote:

Tried that ... still stays on. I'm thinking I'll just keep it turned to the inside (thus powered off) and "chimp" on the EVF!!

Thanks!!

Ken

Sorry about that... My bad. Our R6 does the same thing and will not turn the display off when toggling the INFO button like I stated above. Our DSLR's do, so I was confused, which isn't hard for me nowdays 🙂

Fortunately, my wife likes the INFO screen and we toggled to that. The face sensor turns it off and her shots are displayed so she can chimp 😉

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements