cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New To Digital Photography - Outdoor/Nature Camera Recommendations

Rcmcgourk
Apprentice

Help!!!! LOL New to digital photography and want to purchase first camera. Wife and I mainly want to use for outdoor / nature shots. We are really overwhelmed by number of camera choices. We would like a good camera which we can expand by adding different zooms…etc as our experience grows. Not sure point and click models would limit our growth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

14 REPLIES 14

rs-eos
Elite

Do you have an existing older camera? To incude any existing smart phone?  If so, try to describe what it is that you find limiting with them.

What is your overall budget?

If looking at interchangable lens cameras, I would point you towards Canon's new R-series line.  Where the smallest and least-expensive would be the EOS-R100.  Though that would also be one with the least amount of features.

Ultimately, it will be a trade-off as I believe you're starting to see.  A point-and-shoot is small, light and can be quite feature-rich.  But limiting in terms of having a fixed zoom lens.  Interchangeable lens cameras will indeed offer you a massive amount of flexibility when it comes to lenses.  Though they are larger, heavier and more costly than point-and-shoot.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for reply. We don’t own a camera, only iPhone 13 for photos currently. My confusion lies with so many choices available from Canon. We have a moderate budget but at the same time trying to avoid under spending on a camera we could quickly out grow. We are not aiming to be professionals, only recreational taking shots while visiting outdoor parks such as Yellowstone, Teton, Yosemite…etc. As well as distant shots of wildlife at these locations. 

As I mentioned earlier, if going with a new camera with interchangeable lenses, I would steer you to Canon's R-series line.

Avoid the M-series line as that has been discontinued.  DSLRs are also at the end of their life and obtaining support for them will get more and more difficult over the years to come.

Again though, we'd need to know an actual budget if we are to recommend anything more specific.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

My suggestion would be to consider this kit:

EOS R50 RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM & RF-S55-210mm F5-7.1 IS STM Lens Kit (canon.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

"We have a moderate budget but at the same time trying to avoid under spending on a camera we could quickly out grow."

A "moderate budget" can vary by a lot depending on someone's income level.  Same with not wanting to underspend.  Give us a better idea of the price range you would like to be in, such as "not over $---".  As Steve mentioned as well, will your wife be sharing this camera, or wanting one of her own?  Good question because my wife and I each own our own gear so we can go out shooting together.  So IF you each want one, be sure to specify if your budget amount is the amount for each camera, or the combined amount.

Once we know these things, we can offer some great suggestions.  There are so many good options out there at different price ranges. 

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

Absolutely agree with Gary.  Having pretty hard numbers for maximum budget and what that will cover, especially if two of you want separate gear is a fundamental requirement.  We could suggest cameras that were way over your budget without knowing better.
Please do read that link I sent to you in my previous post and use it to explain precisely what your needs are - note those questions are not technical, but about useage.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Rcmcgourk,

Is your wife as enthusiastic about the actual taking of pictures as you seem to be?

I mean, will she also want to be the photographer? Will you need to actually get two cameras, one for you and one for her?

Steve Thomas

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum!
At this stage can I suggest reading the following primer written for folks in exactly your situation.  Consider the questions it poses and use the answers to help us give you the best solution.
Buying Camera Gear 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for information. We are more than likely going to purchase one camera. Budget around $2K. Fortunately we found a camera shop in the area to visit soon. This is a great forum. 

Announcements