cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 80D takes pink pictures

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
My new 80D purchased at Costco as a bundle with a nice pair of Canon lenses has always taken pink pictures. I seldom get good photos from this camera. I am not an expert si only shoot pictures on auto setting. I've never touched any other setting ever. I see on this site that others have had thus problem. One poor fellow after trying all the suggestions and jumping through hoops was told to service his camera. Is Canon going to admit they have a serious problem and help us besides telling us to service a camera? What happened so that so many cameras are garbage from day one of purchase?
68 REPLIES 68

"ebiggs ... you are obviously a sad fellow who likes to taunt and say things just to be nasty ..."

I simply repeated what you said. Go see the more nicer folks at the Canon service facility.  They are happy people.  Smiley Happy

On a happier note I do sincerely hope you get it straightened out to your satisfaction. I always did right from the beginning. You were the one not receptive.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Hi Robert ... actually you get two things with a better camera

1 - Denser pixelation and larger file size ... for example did you know the Rennaisance Faire will not accept photos for their contest if the file size is below a set limit My Lumex and phone even though the colors and composition are incredible ... still the file size is too small

2 - Both phone and Lumex cannot zoom into the forest or down the valley ... they cannot zoom from far away across an area to capture a perfect candid picture of friends or family ... most of my best shots are taken from a distance zoomed in ... this is my main reason for purchasing the 80D

@Horsefeathers wrote:
Hi Robert ... actually you get two things with a better camera

1 - Denser pixelation and larger file size ... for example did you know the Rennaisance Faire will not accept photos for their contest if the file size is below a set limit My Lumex and phone even though the colors and composition are incredible ... still the file size is too small

Photoshop can fix this by re-sampling. No "high density" required.

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Thanks for your thoughts ebiggs ...

I recieved a call from Jessica at Canon Costa Mesa ... very nice message ... initially they found the camera parameters were within specs ... but she decided to compare mine with an 80D they had on hand and found the white needs to be balanced more and the colors were 'soft' ... she mentioned that there is also a possible over exposure issue ... the techs are going to adjust the white setting and recalibrate the color settings and look at the over exposure issue

She went beyond the initial test ... really great person to do that to find the problems ... she left a nice detailed message with this info and more ... I called back to thank her and got another very friendly tech like the one in Virginia who said he would pass along my gratitude for her thoughtfulness

Camera tested again after they are done next week

Thanks everyone at Costa Mesa !!!

I'll update ...

Cheers good fellows and ladies

🙂

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Robert ... I'll look into that ... I have an older copy of Photoshop

If you ever need computer or Landscaping questions answered let me know

🙂

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Hi guys ... UPDATE :

I picked up my Canon 80D camera today from the Costa Mesa service center. The tech at the Virginia Canon service center it turns out was correct. The white balance had to be adjusted and the main board chip had to be reprogrammed (flashed much the same as an eprom or bios chip is given new code to properly run the hardware on a pc motherboard)

The reason as explained on the return invoice was ... "the main board contained a program fault. The image hues were mismatched. (colors) Electrical adjustments were carried out on the main board. Product functions were confirmed."

They also found the Canon telephoto lenses was faulty and are shipping me an equivalent replacement.

All of this was no charge !

Hats off to Jennifer and the entire Canon team

This dies however shows that Canon needed to look at their quality control processes wherever this was manufactured ...

I'll update when I get my new lense. Maybe I'll do a Big Bear run and take a few pictures with the standard lense that also came with the Costco canon bundle

@Horsefeathers wrote:
Hi guys ... UPDATE :

I picked up my Canon 80D camera today from the Costa Mesa service center. The tech at the Virginia Canon service center it turns out was correct. The white balance had to be adjusted and the main board chip had to be reprogrammed (flashed much the same as an eprom or bios chip is given new code to properly run the hardware on a pc motherboard)

The reason as explained on the return invoice was ... "the main board contained a program fault. The image hues were mismatched. (colors) Electrical adjustments were carried out on the main board. Product functions were confirmed."

They also found the Canon telephoto lenses was faulty and are shipping me an equivalent replacement.

This dies however shows that Canon needed to look at their quality control processes wherever this was manufactured ...

I'll update when I get my new lense. Maybe I'll do a Big Bear run and take a few pictures with the standard lense that also came with the Costco canon bundle

I think the Big Bear trip is a good idea. Photographing snow can be tricky, and it'll give you a chance to experiment a bit with the white balance.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@Horsefeathers wrote:
Hi guys ... UPDATE :

"Is Canon going to admit they have a serious problem and help us besides telling us to service a camera? What happened so that so many cameras are garbage from day one of purchase?"

Congratulations.  I still suspect your camera kit was a customer return.  That can happen in big box stores, as I explained before.

Be careful exposing the camera to wide temperature changes because condensation can collect inside and outside the lenses and camera body.  If you are out in the cold, place the camera body and lenses in plastic bags when you return your car so that condensation does not collect.  

Reverse the process when going out into the cold with a warm, room temperature camera body.  Just use common sense.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for reporting back; not everyone does with these kinds of issues. In any case it sounds like your patience and perseverance have paid off. Post a couple sample pics if you get a chance so we can see the results.

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Thanks burnunit ... I'll take a trip to Big Bear soon and take my usual 1000 shots (pictures) and post a few here

Waiting for telephoto lens from Canon but I'll use both lenses

Cheers

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements