cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My brand new R6 LCD screen is black I can't get it back on??

mcstevepants
Apprentice

Hi there.

Just got the R6 and have only used it for 2 days. Now, the LCD screen is off and I can't seem to get it back on? I'm not sure what I did. I might have just pressed a wrong button combination; not in the settings menu, I mean on the camera body itself.

I've tried swapping batteries, memory cards, and lenses.

My viewfinder works if the LCD is closed; and I can shoot and poke around in the menus through the viewfinder, but nothing I try in the menu works. I've checked the screen brightness, modes, and reset camera settings.

What's going on here? Do I need to send it in? Thanks for any help!

8 REPLIES 8

Lotus7
Rising Star

Sounds like you've already tried almost everything, but as a last resort:

*Remove the battery

*Remove the SD Card(s)

*Turn on the power switch and wait at least 60 seconds (discharges residual charges in various registers)

*Re-install a charged battery and the SD Card(s)

*Confirm that you are set to "Viewfinder-1" mode

*With the LCD screen in normal viewing position, confirm that the EVF (viewfinder) sensor is working correctly:

*While viewing at a distance while covering the sensor the EVF should light up and uncovering it should shut off the EVF

If the R6 somehow got switched to "Viewfinder-2", the EVF may remain on, even with the sensor uncovered.

*Press the MENU button

If the LCD stiil does not function, phone 1-800-652-2666 (EOS Customer Service)

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks, no luck, will probably have to send it in.

Gettingthere
Apprentice
Hello,
I was having the same problem and thanks to @lotus7 I contacted canon via the number in his or her post. In my case I had accidentally pressed the “info” button. I had to laugh at myself but that solved the problem in my case.

Jelena
Apprentice

hi, just had the same thing happen to me. did you manage to solve the problem?

Hello Jelena,

In my case I had accidentally pressed the “info” button. That solved the problem in my case and it has not occurred since then.

I hope this helps because it can be frustrating when the cameras start acting up.

you just clicked info and it worked? I tried but it won't work only when switching off, the image on the LCD is displayed for a second

@Jelena wrote:

you just clicked info and it worked? I tried but it won't work only when switching off, the image on the LCD is displayed for a second

Hello, Jelena.

The fix that Gettingthere is referring to is that the INFO button is a toggle, and when repetedly pressed, it will toggle your screen through several different informational screens, one being blank. So by reputedly pressing the INFO button, you will get to the screen you want your LCD to display.

If this doesn't work, I suggest that you start a new thread as this one is quite old.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Jelena
Apprentice

Were you able to fix the problem? I have the same problem and can't find a solution

Announcements