cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live view mode on a Canon T7

brinleeevans
Apprentice

I like using live view mode on my camera but when I hold down the button to take multiple photos, my live view goes black and I can't see what I'm taking pictures of. It doesn't do this with my view finder but I prefer live view mode. If anyone can help that'd be very appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Hi OP, All SLR and DSLR cameras have blackout when using the viewfinder and live view. The shutter curtains pass over the image sensor causing blackout. During viewfinder shooting the mirror swings out of the way causing viewfinder blackout. There is no way to prevent blackout in a DSLR camera.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The following menu only appears when the camera is in Live View mode.  Note “AF method”.

290F9EA7-7538-406A-AA26-FDE6941FC0B8.jpeg

Experiment with the AF mode settings.  The camera normally uses an AF sensor that is located in the bottom of the camera, just below the sensor and mirror.  The normally uses a metering sensor that is located at the top of the OVF, just below the flash hot shoe.

When you are in Live View mode, the AF method setting allows you select which AF and Metering sensor to use when you press the shutter.  One of the settings does not drop the mirror, which blanks the screen.  It uses the image sensor for both AF and Metering.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings brinleeevans,

Let's check to see if the camera is using the Quick Mode for auto focus since this will lower the mirror down to auto focus when shooting and would provide a dark screen. Let's press the MENU button on the camera and navigate to the fourth red shooting tab on the top of the screen when the camera is set to shoot with the rear LCD screen. Then select "AF method". If the option is selected as "Quick mode" then let's try switching it to FlexiZoneAF to see if this helps resolve the issue.

Okay I tried it but it didn't work. My camera was in quick mode so I tried FlexiZoneAF but it did the same thing. I also tried the third AF method for Live View and that didn't work either.

How many pictures are you taking back to back. Does the live view screen only go dark when the camera is Autofocusing or in between shots. Please post a video to show us what's going on.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
click here to view the gallery
Announcements