cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live View focusing issue - 6d Mark II

Skip70
Enthusiast

I am unable to do fine (magnified) focus in Live View. 

A few details:
Page 308 of the manual says to set the focusing mode on MENU> Camera icon> 5 (choices of Smooth, face tracking, or Live one-point AF). I do not have menu #5 on my camera (my firmware is up-to-date). That's my first question -- why no #5?

As a workaround, I made the selection for Live one-point AF (AF w/ square) on the Live V?iew LCD instead.

I can focus on the regular LV screen by either touching it or moving the focus box, however, when I hit the hourglass button to zoom in for finer focus, focus goes blurry and I get no response on the screen when /I either tap it or use the navigation button as described pin page 313. 

What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In addition to what Steve said:

Some menu options are available in certain modes and not others.

Magnifying the image doesn't change how the camera focused. That's why you would need to focus manually.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Skip70,

What I am about to say is pure speculation, so please take it with a grain of salt.

1) I think some menus are available to you in Live View, but not when you are in viewfinder, and vice versa. Try both and see if your option appears.

2) I don't think you can do any electronic auto focusing when you are in a magnified view. You can magnify an image, but you then have to do  your focusing manually.

You either have to put your lens in MF, or if you are using a lens that supports electronic MF, you can turn your focusing ring without flipping the AF/MF switch on your lens. Check the instruction manual that came with your lens to see if it supports electronic MF.

Steve Thomas

You and jrghoffmann75 werd cofrfect -- thank you to both.The manual says you can magnify to ":check" focus but does not say you can further refine it. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In addition to what Steve said:

Some menu options are available in certain modes and not others.

Magnifying the image doesn't change how the camera focused. That's why you would need to focus manually.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements