cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Suppose to be BLURRY When I zoom in?

laknee
Contributor

I took some photos for my friend's wedding, and I'm just curious of what I did wrong, what I can do to fix this, or if its just normal. I didn't have Image Stabilizer on because I forgot I turned it off at one point, but here is a photo that came out what appears to be clear and not blurry. Or maybe it is blurry? Thanks

rsz_img_8967.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

No, of course not.  The image at any focal length should be sharp if the camera is functioning correctly and you are using it efficiently.

The image sample you submitted is too small to be really of any use for evaluation.  If you could supply the Camera model and EXIF information - shutter speed, focal length, ISO and aperture - available from your camera's INFO or VIEW  button (press the button repeatedly to find that information).  If you are not sure how to find this, READ YOUR MANUAL!

First, LEAVE Image Stabilization ON! Why did you turn it off to begin with??? 

The more you zoom in the more critical that becomes.  From what I can see you were using available light (i.e. not the flash) or you were standing too far away for the flash to really make a difference.  That would mean that:

* Your shutter speed was likely to be very slow, creating a danger of camera shake and having your IS off would exacerbate that

* The further away you were from the subjects the more you have to zoom in.  There is a simple rule of thumb as regards shutter speed related to focal length: the shutter speed should be the inverse of your focal length.  Thus, if you have a focal length of 100mm your shutter speed should be no less than 1/100sec, for 250mm it should not be slower than 1/250sec.  If you have image stabilization on that can improve the stability of the lens, but since you apparently had it turned off the rule applies as you read it.

* Your technique will also have a lot to do with making blurry photos. It is common practice these days to hold a camera like a cell phone and view the image through the rear LCD display.  For telephoto use this is not a good technique.  Much better to hold the camera to your face and look through the viewfinder - it allows you to brace the camera and provide a much more stable platform.

@laknee wrote:

I took some photos for my friend's wedding, and I'm just curious of what I did wrong, what I can do to fix this, or if its just normal. I didn't have Image Stabilizer on because I forgot I turned it off at one point, but here is a photo that came out what appears to be clear and not blurry. Or maybe it is blurry? Thanks

rsz_img_8967.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

laknee
Contributor
I’m not sure if or how I could check the exact EXIF info for that one photo, but it was probably along the lines of this:
shutter speed 1/200
focal length 200mm
ISO on auto
aperture 5.6 or 8 (if it was 8, it was because of the lighting - i was trying to change anything to adjust to the lighting)
I had IS off either because the day before I wanted to see the difference between having it on and off or because my 55-250 lens wasn’t letting me zoom out (it was stuck between 200-250) so I tried taking off IS to see if that would let me zoom out and then forgot to turn it back on.

The camera I use is Rebel EOS SL1/100D

laknee
Contributor
To make clear, my subject line I mean to say if I zoom in on the picture that has already been taken, not whilst taking the photo. Thanks

Hi and thanks for that clarification.

A lot depends on what your settings were when you took your shot.

1st : Image resolution - defines your image potential.  Your camera can be set to take a range of image of differing quality and size - the smaller the size the more images fit on a card, but the lower the quality.  Look up image size in your manual and make sure it is set the camera to JPG quality L.  You will fit fewer images on a card, but the quality of each will be best.  If you know how to use any image processing software, (such as Photoshop or LightRoom, then include RAW format as well if it is available. RAW is a format that lets you do much to improve your images in post-production.  If you don't have such software, then just shoot JPG. 

2nd: Focus.  You appear to be having issues with your lens and you say the day before you turned off IS to see if that would have any difference.  As I mentioned that will compromise image quality by introducting camera shake - so the whole image will appear blurred.  If your shutter speed is too slow you may even get subject movement.

Focus, camera shake, and image resolution will ALL have an impact on the quality of the images you create.  That said, you should not magnify the image past 100% - it's not what this lens is designed for.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Are you looking at your images on a computer? If so, is it a PC or a Mac?

cheers, TREVOR

laknee
Contributor
Yes a Mac

@laknee wrote:
Yes a Mac

Hmmm I am not a Mac user, but if you see the image on screen in the Mac file manager there should be some way to display the image properties.  If you are not sure, this might help:

https://osxdaily.com/2015/06/17/view-exif-data-photos-mac-os-x/ 

That should bring up a dialog box with all the setting of the camera  displayed (the EXIF data)

That would be very helpful in knowing how your image was shot.  Also is it possible to post your photo in its original form - i.e. not downsized?

cheers, TREVOR

laknee
Contributor
I tried and it said the file was too large? Do you know a way around it

If you are using photos, export the image, this will give you some options to make it smaller but preserve the EXIF info.

Announcements