cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISO changing when Rebel XTI stuffed back in case?

rmiller3
Apprentice

This has happened several times on glaciers where it's been too bright for me to notice so I've ended up losing pictures.  Somehow when I put my camera (Rebel XTI) back in a case and take it out again, the ISO jumps from whatever I had it at (usually 100) to 1600 and ruins pictures taken until I notice and change it back.

In this scenario I'm typically shooting in "AV" (shutter priority mode?).  I haven't been able to repo the problem intentionally to find out what combinations of buttons are being pressed in order to be more careful.  

Does anyone know what might switch the ISO from 100 to 1600 for holding down a button if the mode isn't changed?

Thanks!

-Rob

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you in auto ISO?

Does the XTi have an iso button on the top? I don't think it did.

I just looked, it does not have an ISO button, but if you push the righ button on the multicontroller it changes ISO. Is the camera on when you put it back in the case?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm typically shooting in "AV" (shutter priority mode?)."

I don't know how the ISO is changing on its own but I do know Av is "aperture priority" not shutter priority.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Is the camera on when you put it back in the case?"

This is a good point.  If you physically turn the Rebel off it can't change the ISO or anything for that matter.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Just had a though, is your 'keep alive' battery good?  If it is dead the XTi will default back to ISO 100 each time you use it. Check to see if your date and time is correct. If not replace that battery.

EB

Thanks for the tips / discussion.  I do shut the camera off prior to putting it back in the case, so I'm not sure what could cause the setting change.  It's possible but unlikely I'm bumping something as I do that.  The keep-alive battery seems ok as pictures are labeled with the proper date-time.  In the most recent case at least, I didn't accidentally change the mode as I was still in AV mode and suddenly had 1600 ISO the next time I took it out.  

Quote:  push the right button on the multicontroller....

The right arrow button?  That might be it, I'll have to check when I get home.  I think I tried holding it down intentionally and couldn't repo the problem.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements