cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS with monopod

unclejace54
Enthusiast

Hi folks. I am curious how people are setting IS and shutter speed when using a long telephoto and a monopod. I have used these settings with both mirrored and mirrrorless EOS cameras: IS at 1 or 2 (for moving subject), I have not used position 3 that is available on newer lenses, shutter speed at a minimum of 1/2 the focal length and sometimes at or close to focal length.

I am interested in what you folks have to say. Good bad or indifferent.😀

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I set the shutter speed as high as possible after balancing the aperture and ISO that I want. With IS I favor noise control via ISO selection (thus potentially lower shutter speeds) and let the IS do the job I paid for. Unless I am doing significant panning motion, like a vehicle or bicycle rider, I leave the IS switch in "1" since even on a monopod there can be slight motion in all axes. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I almost never change IS from 1 or switch IS off. Matter of fact I can't remember the last time I switched IS off.

Keep in mind IS becomes less and less useful as SS increases. They say to turn it off when you use a tripod but I can't see or tell a difference on or off.  My most used big IS lenses are my Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens. Although I have other IS lenses these get the most use by me.

My more 'normal', most used, FL lenses don't have IS so I have no comment there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements