cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel SL3 USB not working

ramoses
Contributor

Hi, I'm trying to use my SL3 as a webcam with the EOS Webcam Utility, yet for some reason the camera won't even get recognized by my Windows 10 when using USB. Whenever I plug the USB the camera will freeze or will display "BUSY" whatever I try to do while plugged in the USB. If I unplug the USB it will stop showing "BUSY" and will let me navigate in the menu and use the camera.
I've deactivated the wifi and Bluetooth, updated the firmware of the camera yet not nothing seems to work. I've tried all my USB ports of my PC and 3 different USB cables (USB Micro-B). In the other hand my EOS Rebel T7 is working fine, my PC will recognize the camera when connecting via USB and I can use it with the EOS Webcam Utility, yet not even my SL3 will get recognized by my computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ramoses
Contributor

Hi, I'm back to say the USB is working, I had to buy this specific Micro-B cable. Thank you all for the help.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Ramoses:

Just to check, when you are using the webcam utility with the SL3, how may apps are running at the time?

The cable you are using is a FC-600PCU type?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for the reply, I'm using the USB Micro-B the same cable I use to charge cellphones and other devices that doesn't have USB-C. Here are some photos of the cable:
20220420_142707.jpg20220420_142715.jpg20220420_143532.jpg

I've researched for FC-600PCU and found this one, so if this is the right option just point to me that I will buy it (I live in Brazil, so I need to buy it here so it won't take too long to deliver it). About the apps I usually have a lot of apps running (Rainmeter, Teamviewer, f.lux, Logitech G HUB, Google Drive, ShareX, Spotify, Cobian Backup, RescueTime, TickTick, Voicemeeter Potato, Adobe Cloud, Kaspersky Antivirus, Display Fusion, ASIO4ALL, SteelSeries GG, Microsoft Teams, Open Hardware Monitor, TouchPortal and OneDrive), but I have all of them running while using my Rebel T7 and never had any problem with this.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I live in Brazil, doesn't the support service works different?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I looked up the specs for your model on the documentation for the software and it said that your camera does not come with a cable and the model number is what was specified.   I did some research on e-Bay and it came up confirming that this cable is specifically for Canon connections.  I recommend trying that and see if it works - it should not be a huge investment.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yes, the camera doesn't come with the cable, yet as I said the USB type used is the Micro-B, and as you can see I've used it in the camera, 3 different ones, and none of them have worked 😞 . I've done some research and found this cable, I just need you to confirm that it's the right one so I can buy it.

I have given you clear directions on where to look for this information. You need to confirm this yourself - this information is clearly available in the documentation for the software - I found it in 5 minutes of searching.  The documentation indicates several different kinds of cable for several types of cameras, so it seems to be specific to a set of models.   We are not here to do research you should be doing for yourself.  The cable you posted looks like a makeshift composite.  I recommend you search on eBay for the correct cable and get one of those - most suppliers ship internationally.

cheers, TREVOR

Sorry if the way I expressed myself was rude, wasn't my intention, nor was I being lazy, I tried to provide all the information I had and since I have some experience with computers, software and similar things. I wasn't understanding why all of my Micro-B cables weren't working with my SL3 since I didn't know that there were any different types of Micro-B, they were all the same as far as I knew, I thought only the size could change.

There are several types of such cables, that is why the reference I gave you is specific to the camera you have.  It appears that different models have the ability, or requirement, to use specific models.  If  you look at this link, from Canon, you will see  the SL3 as compatible with this cable and recommended by Canon.
Canon-WebCam-Utility-Compatible-Accessories.pdf

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements