cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having trouble downloading to lightroom from my 5d mark iv, I downloaded the software

frieling
Apprentice

I downloaded the software and restarted my computer but my 5d mark iv will not download to Lightroom, I see the images when I press import but after it looks like it is downloading it tells me it can not download to lightroom, thoughts.

20 REPLIES 20

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are shooting RAW it's probably because LR hasn't been updated yet for the 5D Mark IV. 

Install EOS Utility and see if that downloads OK. 

image.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You will have to use DPP until Lightroom is updated.

@kvbarkley wrote:

You will have to use DPP until Lightroom is updated.

Version 4 of DPP is maddeningly slow, and its GUI has some clumsy aspects. But it stores its (nondestructive) changes directly in the .CR2 file, which I consider to be a critical advantage over Lightroom. Ernie Biggs will probably ridicule me for saying that (he usually does), but there it is.

Ehhhh... "Ridicule" is too strong a word. But he'll have something to say in LR's defense.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

DPP does have one thing going for it, at this writing, it is the only option for 5d mark IV raw files.

@kvbarkley wrote:

DPP does have one thing going for it, at this writing, it is the only option for 5d mark IV raw files.

And when LR does catch up, you'd better be using the rental version.

Bob

@kvbarkley wrote:

DPP and Photo Mechanic 5. Both export 5D Mark IV raw files to TIFF.

@Davoud wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

TIFF files from a 5D4 figure to be enormous. Since DPP can also export JPEGs, the most straightforward solution is to do all your editing on the RAW file in DPP. Only if you really need the esoteric features of Photoshop is it worth exporting a TIFF.

Bob

kvbarkley wrote:

Davoud wrote:

RobertTheFat wrote:

TIFF files from a 5D4 figure to be enormous. Since DPP can also export JPEGs, the most straightforward solution is to do all your editing on the RAW file in DPP. Only if you really need the esoteric features of Photoshop is it worth exporting a TIFF.

Yes, indeed! Convert raw to TIFF in DPP and they're 180MB. Convert in Photo Mechanic 5 and they're just half that, 90MB. (Why the difference?) I edited a TIFF in PS CC 2015.5 and added a layer and the resulting file was 485MB. Looks like a trip to the storage store will be in order.

I don't know what "esoteric features of Photoshop" means. It's just a bitmap editor, part of my standard workflow, which is usually Card > Lightroom > Photoshop. When you save a raw in PS, by default it goes back into the LR catalogue as a TIFF. Can't deal with lossy formats except at the last stage for photos going on the web.

"esoteric features of Photoshop"

Photoshop haters!  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements