cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make photos <100 KB

Gto68
Apprentice

I breed dogs and some sites I place ads in require photos to be less than 100KB. My photos come out 120KB or larger. How do I make my photos 100KB ? Thanks. I resized the photo but that didn't change the KB only the pixels.

6 REPLIES 6

telstar
Contributor

What software and method are you using to resize your pictures ?

Stephen

@Gto68 wrote:

I breed dogs and some sites I place ads in require photos to be less than 100KB. My photos come out 120KB or larger. How do I make my photos 100KB ? Thanks. I resized the photo but that didn't change the KB only the pixels.

Hi Gto68! In order for our Subject Matter Experts to better assist you, it will be helpful to know the exact camera you're using as well. Thank you!

Regardlessof what camera model you have, after you copy the image to your PC  you could use a software package like FastStone Image Resizer.

That will allow you to re-size the image based on either pixels or KB - your choice

And its free

http://www.faststone.org/

My favorite way to do this is with Picasa. [removed unofficial link and replaced with Google's official link] which is also free. After doing whatever editing I need to do I export the photo to a new album, and when you click the EXPORT button you're given several choices in what quality & size (in pixels) you want as the largest width or height. For Quality you get the choices of Maximum, automatic, regular & minimum (or something along those lines) PLUS Custom. If you choose custom you get a slider to set from a very low value to a max value of 85%. Because every file is a bit different in it's original file size which changes when edited & or cropped you'll need to try saving at a few different custom settings to learn what fits your needs, but none of that takes more than a few minutes.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

BrickR
Enthusiast

Knowing what software you're using helps.

You can adjust the size in lightroom when you export. Just adjust the output size and resolution.

In Photoshop you can resize the image and the quality when you "save as".

shoot_ric
Contributor

IrfanView software. You tell it what size you want the file to be and it does the work. There is no guesswork involved. 

Announcements