cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the EOS utility with Windows 8

DaveOnFidalgo
Apprentice

I am setting up a brand new Windows 8 desktop machine tomorrow.  With an Intel i7, 8 gb, 2tb and an IPS monitor, it was purchased specifically for photo editing.  Am I going to have a problem using the EOS Utility on a Windows 8 machine?  I am finding hints about a problem on the net, but not much specific information.  Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

WaltA
Contributor

What version of the EOS Utility?

What functionality do you expect. Transfer files? Tethered camera?

I've found that its a catch-22. You need the latest version of EOS Utility to support the latest version of Windows. But the latest version of EOS Utility doesn't support your (older) camera models.

In some cases, people have had to run a Virtual version of an older OS (like XP) to keep using EOS Utility to thether their camera.

WaltA, thanks for replying.  I am currently using version 2.11.4.0 EOS Utility.  Is that the latest?  It came with a brand new 7D.  My other camera is a T3i.  I replaced the version that came with the T3i on the old Vista laptop.

At this point, I am only using it for transfering photos to the PC.  

I have successfully loaded it onto the Windows 8 machine with no issues.  I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but there appear to be no problems so far.

Thanks again.  

Hi, I have used EOS utility to download images on a win8 machine and have not had any issues so far, admittedly I have only done this a couple of times sofar.

I believe that just transferring files is not a problem - although I believe most people use a card reader - much faster.

I think the trouble starts when you try to do tethered shooting.

The Canon website says for T3i with windows 8 you should use 2.12.0

It says the same for 7D.

Announcements