cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will my Canon 20d last me before I outgrow it?

uliongon
Apprentice

I own a Canon 20D that I got because I wanted to get into photography. My lenses are a basic kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8. I don't have a lot of $$ to spend on nice gear so I am wondering how long this camera will last before I (a complete beginner) will start to notice its age. Thanks for any help https://routerlogin.uno/  !

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It usually takes absolute beginners about 10,000 photos wtih digital camera before they truly have it figured out.

Be aware that you are facing two learning curves.  How to use a digital camera.  Learning the basics of photography.  I like to compare it to learning to play a musical instrument.  You have to learn how to pla the instrument, but you will never play a song until you learn about music theory.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The 20D is 20 years old.  A testament to Canon's build quality and resilience  By today's standards it's practically a museum.piece.  it has all of the features that can teach one basic photography.  Composition, the principals of exposure and RAW file manipulation.  If you have never used a more modern camera, you aren't going to miss what you've never known.  What you will notice however are others who can shoot under more challenging shooting conditions, like low light, or fast action who will get results, better (or more easily) than you can.  This will not be true in every situation, but modern cameras can do more.  It's just a fact. 

Don't be discouraged by this.  Get out there and take photos.  This is the best way to learn.  Also do some reading.  The internet is a wealth of information, highlighting techniques and principals that will help you learn and grow.  Photography takes practice.  It's a skill.  Not something you you can buy. You can start saving for your next camera.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The biggest impact on your photography will come from learning how to edit your images. I would not worry about how long it is before you outgrow your 20D but how proficient you can become with Photoshop and raw files. Raw files are mandatory.

Oh, sure newer cameras have better sensors and are faster but really only offer features that are already present on your 20D. They just automate or make them easier to use so the photographer has to do less and less. Some of the worlds greatest photos were taken with little more than a box with a pin hole in it.

You know at one time we even had to focus lenses ourselves but somehow managed to get the shots.

"It usually takes absolute beginners about 10,000 photos wtih digital camera before they truly have it figured out."

Where in the world did you ever come up with that figure? I would say that person is a very slow learner. After a few hundred one should have the basics down pat. Photoshop on the other hand can take some time to get fully learned.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

“ Where in the world did you ever come up with that figure? I would say that person is a very slow learner. After a few hundred one should have the basics down pat. Photoshop on the other hand can take some time to get fully learned. “

Read it again.  Most people can learn the basics after a few hundred shots. They can become a dull knife after several hundred shots.  It takes thousands of shots before you really get it figured out.  You can press the shutter for one second and capture a dozen photos, where as with a film camera that most likely would have been only one photo.

Using a digital camera is not like shooting with film, where you are forced to think about what you are doing more.  They have to wait several days or a couple of weeks to see their results.  You don;t have to put as much thought into it to begin using a digital camera, which makes the learning curve from beginner to expert longer.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I think the origin of this quote about 10,000 image are traceable to Henri Cartier-Bresson, who famously said:
Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.”   It is one of his more quoted comments amongst a long list of observations he is famous for making:
Top 50 Henri Cartier-Bresson Quotes on Photography - ARTCENTRON

Like all generalizations, I personally would not take the quote too literally...

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I’ve never heard that before. I think you might have quoted it in the past. But I have been saying that for years.  

If I did, it was more tongue in cheek! 😋

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"Like all generalizations, I personally would not take the quote too literally..."

Nonsense is more fitting than literally. There are a lot of people that own digital camera that will never take 10,000 photos and are satisfied with what they have.  If it takes a person 10,000 shots before they get good images perhaps they need to find another hobby.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well Ernie, it's a much quoted saying, but I suspect Cartier-Bresson and certainly I, was saying it with tongue in cheek or with some irony.   I think the main point was that skillfully creating images using a dedicated camera, especially in the era of Cartier-Bresson, required the learning of all the skills I mentioned, plus a lot of practice.

Considering one of his most famous images, and likely the icon for his catch-phrase 'the decisive moment', his image "Outside la Gare" is an exemplar of the skills - the right shutter speed, aperture, focus, and above all, the anticipation of the right moment to freeze the subject's foot just before it splashed down.  Considering he was using an early Leica camera - so manual configuration, no motor drive or even fast film advance level - his was the essential one-chance, one-shot world that you and I, who grew up with film, can relate to. 

Tronhard_2-1724609325635.png

Practise is more about the pure manipulation of the camera itself.  As one of my favourite photographers, the now sadly late Elliott Erwitt said "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the ability to notice".  He photographed a huge range from presidents to poodles, but his images were consistently engaging and often humorous.

Tronhard_4-1724610496031.png

The lately-recognized Vivian Maier was an outstanding photographer, with an amazing ability to get close to her subjects, get the verticals correct, the exposure, focus and the composition correct and achieve an outstanding keeper rate, considering she was most of the time using a square format Rolleiflex twin lens reflex camera fully manually controlled - recognized as one of the most challenging formats.  According to a couple of academics who have studied her work extensively, out of a roll of 12 images, she would often score above ten outstanding ones.  To them, and me, that is hugely impressive.  See: Vivian Maier Presentation at Berkeley, April 2, 2014 (youtube.com) This is discussed by them at timestamp 32:20.

Definitely, it's far more than the gear.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements