cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop auto-rotation on my Canon 90D screen?

Liisa
Contributor

Hi!

When I drag the screen out and angle it up slightly, the image turns upside down almost immediately. I therefore want to turn off the automatic rotation of the image, but cannot find the function anywhere.

IMG_1199.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not being flippant, but suggest you look to a different seating position, if you can.  The alternative would be to use an external monitor that has an HDMI interface to cable your camera to and you can view that at whatever position feels comfortable.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum:

I recommend downloading the Advanced User Guide as a PDF, you can then search for terms for which you need assistance.  You can get that via the following link: gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300036243/01/eos90d-ug-en.pdf
You should find the reference you need on P349.

If this resolves your issue please mark this post as a solution, otherwise feel free to come back to us.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your answer!

I read through the manual and threads in this forum before asking the question. And I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

The problem is not that I want to rotate an image.
The problem is that I don't want the screen to automatically flip the image upside down when I pull the screen it out and angle it a bit. (Please see picture for example)

It's a brand new camera for me and I'm trying to learn all the features. But I can't find this one.

Kind regards, Lisa

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you using Live View?  I think the issue is that camera and display are rotating on different axis relative to the image sensor. 

The camera body is pitching while display is mostly rolling.  Not sure if there is any way around that. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle!

I’m using Live View. Perhaps there isn’t any way around the problem. Hm…

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Thanks for your response.  I did realize what you meant, but don't have the 90D any more so cannot simulate the menus.  I went to my 80D and it displays the same behaviour as yours.  I find no mechanism to change that as I suspect they did not expect someone to half rotate the display.  Usually the LCD is folded against the back of the camera, or rotated out, either fully flat or vertical.  
Is there some reason you must use the camera this way, or can you angle the screen in either of those two orientations?

cheers, TREVOR

I suspect you are right.
When I half rotate the display I get a better ergonomic position when I take pictures.
I shoot for several hours every day and want to avoid standing leaning forward. 🙂

Kind regards, Lisa

Not being flippant, but suggest you look to a different seating position, if you can.  The alternative would be to use an external monitor that has an HDMI interface to cable your camera to and you can view that at whatever position feels comfortable.

cheers, TREVOR

Hi Trevor!

That sounded like a very interesting idea. I never would have figured that out on my own. Many thanks for all good suggestions!

Kind regards, Lisa

Announcements