cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Exposure compensation in Av mode / Backbutton focus

jmoost
Contributor

Hi,

I have read some forum threads and watched some youtube video's but I can't seem to find the answer. I really want to buy an R6 mark ii but I want the buttons to work in a way I am used with my Ricoh GR iii and (sold) Nikon.

1. I have BB focus set to AF-ON. 
2. EVF / Screen of my Ricoh is always showing an exposure preview, based on settings and picture profile
3. Half pressing the shutter wont do nothing, metering is always metering and focus is on AF-ON button.
4. When I want to overexpose on purpose in backlit situations, I can use a dial on the back to EC plus or minus
5. The set EC stays the same, only when I change it back to something else or back to 0.

What I would like to have:

1. in Av mode, metering always on and shutter half pressed does nothing
2. I want to BB focus with AF-ON 
3. With the Quick control dial 2 I want to change the amount of EC plus or minus.
4. EC should impact ISO or shutterspeed, can you set that?

Hope you all can help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you have just focused it will work for a few seconds, if you have focused but don't have enough time for EC, you can either press AF-ON again or half press the shutter button.  I don't see a feature to hold the option for EC dialing for longer.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Program the [SET] button for exposure compensation. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Is the camera set to use the AF-ON button only for AF only with the shutter button decoupled from AF start at all. Exposure Compensation in Av Mode will adjust the shutter speed this will work differently when Auto ISO is used. The camera will try to use the lowest ISO possible. With mirrorless the camera is always tracking even when the AF-ON button is not being pressed. The shutter button is metering start and must be pressed to take a meter reading. The quick control dial on the back of the camera can be set up for EC. When the set button is programmed to do so.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks, most is clear.

1. The 'always tracking'  AF function can be disabled if i am correct, so the AF will only work when the AF-ON button is pressed.
2. Shutter button is metering start, but a mirrorless camera always shows an image preview right? There is always a 'live view' based on picture profile and Av reading without the shutter half pressed?
3. You sure the quick control button nr 2 can be set for EC in Av mode? And not only button nr 1? 

"With mirrorless the camera is always tracking even when the AF-ON button is not being pressed."

Demetrius, with all due respect, that is not my experience.  Before the R6II the menus had an option in the Focus section for Continuous focus on/off.  If Continuous was ON the camera would try to focus all the time, which was a great way to drain the battery, so one would normally turn that off and, if tracking was required, use Servo mode with tracking for whatever kind of subject one wanted.
In the R6II, which I have in front of me, there is no such option for Continuous.  It appears to have been removed.  If I use BBF without servo, once focus is achieved and I move the camera, it does not attempt to find focus at a different spot, I to re-tap the AF-ON or half-press the shutter button (if I am pointing elsewhere).  If I have the camera set to servo, holding the AF-ON will focus with a moving object.

As to Exposure compensation, the default is set to allow the main control wheel at the rear to adjust exposure for several seconds after focus lock, so one just winds that around as required.  If that is not enough time, simply re-tapping the AF-ON button will re-activate that function.  EC control has always been associated with the rear control wheel of cameras that have that control.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I was referencing if the camera was set to continuous AF. I don't know how the OP has there camera set up.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You will probably not be able to duplicate the layou and functionality of a different camera brand.  If you could, then that could raise copyright infringement issues. 

I suggest you program the [SET] button for EC.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I know but the main question is fairly simple. Can you set the custom dial 2 to EC in Av mode?

when you mean custom dial 2 what precisely are  you referring to?  The default to change EC in Canon cameras has been what is shown here as Quick Control Dial 1.  Do you wish to move that Exposure Compenstion function to the other dial in front of the shutter button, which Canon calls the Main Dial - see item 3 lower image?

Tronhard_0-1706472356480.png

Tronhard_1-1706472448621.png

cheers, TREVOR

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the help. I mean Quick Control Dial 2. I would like to set this to EC in Av mode.

And as for the time the EC is set, can you just set it to a longer time, and not a few seconds?

click here to view the gallery
Announcements