cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Exposure compensation in Av mode / Backbutton focus

jmoost
Contributor

Hi,

I have read some forum threads and watched some youtube video's but I can't seem to find the answer. I really want to buy an R6 mark ii but I want the buttons to work in a way I am used with my Ricoh GR iii and (sold) Nikon.

1. I have BB focus set to AF-ON. 
2. EVF / Screen of my Ricoh is always showing an exposure preview, based on settings and picture profile
3. Half pressing the shutter wont do nothing, metering is always metering and focus is on AF-ON button.
4. When I want to overexpose on purpose in backlit situations, I can use a dial on the back to EC plus or minus
5. The set EC stays the same, only when I change it back to something else or back to 0.

What I would like to have:

1. in Av mode, metering always on and shutter half pressed does nothing
2. I want to BB focus with AF-ON 
3. With the Quick control dial 2 I want to change the amount of EC plus or minus.
4. EC should impact ISO or shutterspeed, can you set that?

Hope you all can help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you have just focused it will work for a few seconds, if you have focused but don't have enough time for EC, you can either press AF-ON again or half press the shutter button.  I don't see a feature to hold the option for EC dialing for longer.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Yes, the dials do absolutely change their functions depending on the mode in operation.  As regards the EC settings, they don't change between shots: that is if I have set, say 1.0+ and forget, the next shot will still be subject to 1.0+ EC.   As far a locking exposure between shots goes, which I am guessing may have a bearing, much depends on how one has set up exposure.   I assign Exposure ON-OFF to the * button on the top right of the rear body - that locks the exposure for as long as I choose.  If I have set EC, I have to remember to reset it back to 0.
Everyone has their own technique and that's perfectly fine as long as it works.  For me, I have single point AF assigned to BBF on the AF-ON button, single point exposure assigned to the *.  So, essentially, the shutter button just triggers the shot.
When I take a shot, I locate something that is mid-tone reflectance, lock exposure; locate a point of focus (e.g. an eye) lock focus, recompose, and press the shutter button.   That way I rarely actually have to use the EC dial and once one gets used to the process it's very fast.  Again, that works for me, I'm not pushing it at anyone else.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements