cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Exposure compensation in Av mode / Backbutton focus

jmoost
Contributor

Hi,

I have read some forum threads and watched some youtube video's but I can't seem to find the answer. I really want to buy an R6 mark ii but I want the buttons to work in a way I am used with my Ricoh GR iii and (sold) Nikon.

1. I have BB focus set to AF-ON. 
2. EVF / Screen of my Ricoh is always showing an exposure preview, based on settings and picture profile
3. Half pressing the shutter wont do nothing, metering is always metering and focus is on AF-ON button.
4. When I want to overexpose on purpose in backlit situations, I can use a dial on the back to EC plus or minus
5. The set EC stays the same, only when I change it back to something else or back to 0.

What I would like to have:

1. in Av mode, metering always on and shutter half pressed does nothing
2. I want to BB focus with AF-ON 
3. With the Quick control dial 2 I want to change the amount of EC plus or minus.
4. EC should impact ISO or shutterspeed, can you set that?

Hope you all can help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you have just focused it will work for a few seconds, if you have focused but don't have enough time for EC, you can either press AF-ON again or half press the shutter button.  I don't see a feature to hold the option for EC dialing for longer.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Good, thanks for that clarification.   By default, unless something has been customized already, the default for Quick Control Dial 2 actually IS exposure compensation.  If you are using BBF, and you run out of time to set the EC value, simply half-press the shutter button, which is no longer impacting focus, and you can then get a chance to rotate the dial.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Ok that would be great.

Does the EC on Custom Dial 2 also work without half pressing the shutter? On my Ricoh the preview on the screen always shows what the camera is ' metering / reading'. at that time. Without shutter half pressed. I can then use the EC dial to up or down the exposure. Is that possible on the R6ii too?

If you have just focused it will work for a few seconds, if you have focused but don't have enough time for EC, you can either press AF-ON again or half press the shutter button.  I don't see a feature to hold the option for EC dialing for longer.

cheers, TREVOR

I think I get it. So when in Av mode I half press the shutter and then set the EC for example to +1,5. After i release the shutter button the EC will stay at +1,5 unless i change it back. So after that i can BBF and take the shot. Even after i turn off the camera the EC value will stay +1,5.

IMO the EC works best on a Ricoh or Fujifilm with dedicated dials. 

I guess thats it. 

Your summary is correct.   I shoot with Fuji as well, I have an X-T4, Nikon Df and Sony, which all have dedicated dials. Personally, perhaps I am so used to Canon (shot for 4 decades), being able to manipulate the EC with my thumb while controlling AF and Exposure lock (via the * button), it is actually faster - but one develops muscle memory reasonably quickly!
Good luck with the rest - the R6II is an awesome camera!!

cheers, TREVOR

“ By default, unless something has been customized already, the default for Quick Control Dial 2 actually IS exposure compensation. “

I would beg to differ.  The functionality of that rear dials and controls are as follows, AFAIK.

AAAE0B8D-FC19-45A8-81AE-DC90A868FDFA.jpeg

I recently reset my camera after a recent firmware update.  I never change these settings.  My mode dial is actually set to Av mode.  No idea why it says M mode, or any mode for that matter.  

With a fixed ISO, turning either Quick Control Dial changes the exposure, but it is not adding compensation.  That can be achieved with the [SET] button and the Main Dial.  The EC setting is retained from one shot to the next, too.

[EDIT]. Correction, I do change these settings.  I disable the Control Ring on the lens.  I believe it defaults to Exposure Compensation.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bill I think we are discussing at cross purposes - the settings are for Manual mode as it says on the top, I was addressing the OP's question which is when the camera is in Av mode, where that screen does not apply.  I tested the settings on three different cameras: 80D, 5DsR and R6MkII in Av mode before responding.

cheers, TREVOR

@Tronhard wrote:

Bill I think we are discussing at cross purposes - the settings are for Manual mode as it says on the top, I was addressing the OP's question which is when the camera is in Av mode, where that screen does not apply.  I tested the settings on three different cameras: 80D, 5DsR and R6MkII in Av mode before responding.

As I noted, the camera was in Av mode when I captured the screenshot.  As you switch to modes other than M, one of the controls becomes Ev, exposure compensation, control.  

I bring this up because the OP is saying the setting isn’t retained from one shot to the next.  I’m saying that it shouldn’t because EC is not being dialed in.

I think I figured out why it says M mode.  The controls change their functions in different shooting modes.  For example, the Main Dial sets Tv in M mode, but it switches to Av in Av mode.  The rear dial switches from EC to Av in M mode.

But that does not explain why the EC settings are not retained from one shot to the next.  I like to use [SET] for EC because I get the same behavior in any mode.

Hi, i think i found my answer to this.

in this video at around 10.02 the guy dials the EC with the Quick Dial 1. The one on the back of the camera. He does not touch his shutter while dialing in the EC value.

https://youtu.be/CnzGrTaiX6o

i only would like to have this programmed to the Quick Dial 2 on top of the camera. The flat button near the AF ON button. But i could deal with it on the backwheel. 

thanks!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements