cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get my eos 250d to work with our studio strobe light?

Lizzah2017
Apprentice
I'm trying to sync my Canon eos 250d with our studio strobe light through Godox TT520II Speedlite, but it won't work? Any solution?
5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. 

I don't think it will work. Your camera doesn't have the center contact in the flash shoe. 

Compatible with Canon brand flash only. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

alexpilion
Enthusiast

You cannot do it directly because of the missing contact in the hotshoe. I think the only way is to use a remote trigger which support it like the godox X1T-C.
Also note that to work you need an updated firmware for the trigger since the feature has been introduced lately, as announced at link here below .
https://petapixel.com/2019/05/06/godox-flash-firmware-updates-bring-support-for-canons-crippled-came...

Lizzah2017
Apprentice
Thanks so much for the response! So you're saying if I buy the Godox trigger (X2T-C or X1T-C) it will work with my flash gun (TT520ii) then it can sync with the studio strobe light, correct?

I don't know about X2T-C but X1T-C is working as trigger for Canon camera without the hotshoe central contact.

If you check the firmaware download page here:
http://www.godox.com/EN/Download.html

For the X1T-C the update note states "To add the support of Canon EOS 200DII(Rebel SL3/Kiss X10)"

Kiss X10 as well EOS 200D Mark II are alternative name for EOS 250D on different continents / markets.

The TT520ii can be used as wireless slave, and is also from the same brand/maker of this X1T-C so they will work together.

@Lizzah2017 wrote:
I'm trying to sync my Canon eos 250d with our studio strobe light through Godox TT520II Speedlite, but it won't work? Any solution?

You can mount the TT520II on top of a Godox X1T-C that's been firmware updated for compatibility with the Canon hotshoes that are missing the sync connector.  The TT520 II only has the sync pin on its foot, so it can't communicate with your camera directly on the hotshoe.

But. You could also use your pop-up flash in M mode with the studio strobe's optical slave.  Or just get a Godox speedlight.

@alexpilion wrote:

...The TT520ii can be used as wireless slave, and is also from the same brand/maker of this X1T-C so they will work together.

This is a logical assumption, but incorrect.  The TT520ii (aka TT560 II) is using an older 433 MHz radio trigger, which is incompatible with the current Godox 2.4 GHz "X" system.  It will not work together over radio with an X1T-C. The equivalent newer model to the TT520ii would be the $60 TT600.  But I would recommend a $110 TT685-C instead, which is full TTL/HSS, has 360º swivel, and is firmware updateable. It's a much better, more versatile unit, since TTL means using it both on-camera bouncing and off-camera flash is much easier.  Most TTL speedlights can be put into M; no single-pin manual cheapie can do TTL/HSS on a hotshoe.

If the studio strobe is an older Godox model using an FTR16 USB-A receiver, there is a 2.4 GHz drop-in replacement, the XTR16, but power control might get wonky, since the transmitters use flash ratios (1, 1/2, etc.) not the percentage controls on the older Godox lights.  The Godox AC strobes that are Mk II, Mk III, or the MS series have all been updated with built-in 2.4 GHz receivers that work directly with Godox's 2.4 GHz transmitters.

Announcements